Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
howartp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Howarth

Migration after/during Instant Recovery

Post by howartp »

Hi.

Having just deployed Veeam over the weekend, I did a test InstantRecovery of a small rarely-used VM to understand the basic process last night.

It worked great in mounting it to our ESX environment. The statistics panel logging then stopped at 'Waiting for user to migrate'.

I'm not sure what options I found, but I somehow initiated a Migration job which successfully migrated the disks of the InstantRecovered VM to the live datastores. However the InstantRecovery job was still running, so I stopped it. The statistics panel logs then gave me a warning about the data files having already been migrated? Shouldn't the InstantRecovery provide a method to migrate it's data to the live environment in the background once the DR disaster has been resolved?

What is the correct process for migrating a machine which has been InstantRecovered, say if our SAN dies and we have to order a new one - we'd InstantRecover the servers via NFS and continue using them, but then want to migrate the data onto the new SAN when it arrives?

Cheers,

Peter
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Migration after/during Instant Recovery

Post by veremin »

What is the correct process for migrating a machine which has been InstantRecovered?
In fact, instantly recovered VMs can be migrated back to production in different ways:

• vMotion (via vSphere Client)
• If for some reason you can’t utilize vMotion functionality, you can still put into use VB&R Quick Migration mechanism.

Either of methods should work fine.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
howartp
Enthusiast

Post by howartp »

Hi Vladimir,

So the warning we get in the statistics panel when stopping the Instant Recovered session isn't something we need to worry about?

Peter
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Peter.

Are talking about “VM was moved or migrated” warning?

Providing that you’ve successfully migrated VM back to production through one the above mentioned options, you can manually stop publishing instantly recovered VM without any issues.

Thanks.
howartp
Enthusiast

Post by howartp »

Thanks - yes, I think that's what the error said.

(Veeam is currently offline for some maintenance so I can't check it)

Peter
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In order to understand whether a given VM has been migrated successfully or not you can go to the “History” node and take a look at the corresponding “Quick Migration” session. There you can also get information regarding migration type that has been used (Quick Migration/vMotion).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.