Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

unable to backup windows server 2012 vm

Post by real_tarantoga »

hello board,
i didn't found the topic which will mean that i'm a little bit too stupid for server 2012, but ... well, i need your help!

the backup job can not connect to the admin$ share, while i can connect manually to this share. i suppose, that's due to a restriction in the authentication process!?
what can i do to run a succeful backup job with vss used against a windows 2012 server vm?

There's no domain (active directory) usable, so with 2012 i can't use [domain\account] - with 2k3 and 2k8 it was possible to run a job only with [account].
have i to enter for each machine [workgroup\account]??? it would be somewhat ... unwanted. ;)

thank you!
stefan
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: unable to backup windows server 2012 vm

Post by chrisdearden »

use ./administrator - that will use the local account.
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga »

hello chris,
thank you for your answer. on the first try it didn't work, but i have to investigate it tomorrow in the office. now, it's time for beer and sun set. :D

Greetings from the "swabian mountains".
Stefan
chrisdearden
Veteran

Post by chrisdearden »

Just realised a typo there .\administrator should do the trick
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga »

i switched the slash assuming it was a typo. ;)
I didn't realise yesterday, that the Problem occurs only with other administrative accounts then the built-in administrator. so it seems that i have to "activate" admin share access on the 2k12 Servers.
i'm not yet familar with the changes in 2k12 ...
chrisdearden
Veteran

Post by chrisdearden »

I think I've seen that before - though it was via the VIX api for networkless connection. I think I've just switched over to the built in account.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks like the known issue documented in the Release Notes document included with your download (not w2012-specific, actually):
Network-less interaction with Microsoft Windows guests having UAC enabled (Vista or later) requires that Local Administrator (MACHINE\Administrator) or Domain Administrator (DOMAIN\Administrator) account is provided on Guest Processing step.
You need to specify local "Administrator" account, not just "account with local administrative privileges" to backup VM with VSS enabled.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As a side note - if this 2012 machine doesn’t run any Microsoft specific application (for example, Domain Controller, Exchange Server, SQL Server), there is no actual need to enable Application Aware Image Processing option.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga »

thank you for your comments. I didn't have the time to check your ideas. i wonder that the issue could be related to an api behaviour not specific for w2k12?!
there were never problems with w2k8, w7, w2k3 ...

it will take some more time before i can really check it and give you a qualified answer! ;)
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga » 1 person likes this post

hello board,
all investigations are finished and I'm finally persuaded that there's no veeam API error (in my case) - the vss using backup process works with the "Administrator" and with administrative accounts in Active Directory Environments. The only restrictions were administrative accounts in Workgroup Environments. We have seen similar in Winows 2k8 R2, what could be resolved with Windows configuration Settings (here it was related to network sharing options).
I've taken the decision to disable in workgroup environments the UAC security option for all administrators to be prompted for "elevation" - this was the only Switch to Change. Now I can continue to use the specific backup account - and the decentralized application Administrators will continue to use the "Administrator".

Thank you, Stefan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Stefan, thanks for updating the thread, much appreciated!