Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dksTacet
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis

Bottleneck

Post by dksTacet »

I am new to Veeam and I am trying to figure a few things out. The first thing on the chopping block is bottleneck...

The Host machine is a Dell PowerEdge T320, using 4 x 1 TB drives, configured as RAID 5 on a Dell PERC H310. Using Server 2008 R2 as the host and a Server 2008 R2 VM. I currently have 2 USB 3.0 2TB drives that I backup everything to, one for backup one for replication. It seems to only transfer at 34 MB/s which seemed kind of slow to me. It took 5 hrs to do a full backup of 575 GB.

What are some best practices for backing up a VM? Am I doing something wrong or is this the usual speed? I was reading online that the PERC H310 and the drives I have are not exactly the fastest option and that could be causing the problem. So i am just looking for advice on how to speed things up a little. Also the Primary Bottleneck = Target

Thank You
-Dennis
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Bottleneck

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dennis,

If your primary bottleneck is target, then your USB drives are the "weakest" part in your setup. Please take a look at our sticky F.A.Q. for more info on the bottleneck clarification. Try using any local storage to see if that improves your backup job performance or not.

Thank you!