Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Cannot use database because it was created wi

Post by raphael@schitz.net »

Hi guys,

I'd like to move a veeam backup server instance but when i install it else where and point it to the database, during the setup the Veeam Backup Service won't start and here is the error i got in the log :

Code: Select all

[DB|ERROR] Cannot use database [VeeamBackup], because it was created with later version of the product: product version 633, database version 638. (Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.CDatabaseException)
I guess this is because i installed the last patch on my existing setup (veeam_backup_6.5.0.144.patch3) and do the new install with an older build (veeam_backup_6.5.0.109_x64) ?

Thanks for your help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Cannot use database because it was created wi

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To resolve that you can install Veeam B&R 6.5 build 109 with the default settings, upgrade it to 144 patch level and then re-attach the database from the previous/original installation to the new backup server. Should do the trick.
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast

Thanks Vitaly but i would avoid creating a new database actually. What should append if i change the current_version row in the database and switch it back after setup finished?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This may potentially create mess on many levels. Older build not understanding newer database schema and messing up configuration data, or patch 3 installation failing or messing up the actual database (if the patch involves updating database schema). This may also silently plant hidden issues into your configuration database... I would not recommend doing that, this is really dangerous in so many ways.

What is the problem creating new database temporarily? You can delete it immediately after you are done.
ecowgill
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ed Cowgill

Post by ecowgill »

Hey Raphael,

We actually see this in support from time to time. You're correct that it has to do with having a higher patched version of Veeam and trying to migrate the database to a new location and then installing the base 6.5.0.109 version on top of it as the database version is a higher version. This behavior also happens if you uninstall a patched version of Veeam and reinstall in the same location as the database version isn't rolled back during uninstall. You can resolve this by running this query against your Veeam DB:

update [version]
set current_version = '633'
where current_version = '638'
The only caveat to this is that once you make this change and successfully install the base 6.5.0.109 version you must immediately upgrade to 6.5.0.144 again at your new location (you cannot use this database with any other version other than 6.5.0.144). As Gostev said if you don't it is pretty dangerous. I have performed the above steps several dozen times for similar situations with no negative feedback. I encourage you to create a support ticket if you're not familiar with the SQL interface as support is trained to access and modify the database in scenarios like this.
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast

Thanks Ed, i'll do that since i'm familiar enough with sql studio :)
Do you plan to release a 6.5.0.144 setup instead of path in order to correct that behavior?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

raphael@schitz.net wrote:Do you plan to release a 6.5.0.144 setup instead of path in order to correct that behavior?
This is not planned.
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast

ecowgill wrote:Hey Raphael,

We actually see this in support from time to time. You're correct that it has to do with having a higher patched version of Veeam and trying to migrate the database to a new location and then installing the base 6.5.0.109 version on top of it as the database version is a higher version. This behavior also happens if you uninstall a patched version of Veeam and reinstall in the same location as the database version isn't rolled back during uninstall. You can resolve this by running this query against your Veeam DB:

update [version]
set current_version = '633'
where current_version = '638'
The only caveat to this is that once you make this change and successfully install the base 6.5.0.109 version you must immediately upgrade to 6.5.0.144 again at your new location (you cannot use this database with any other version other than 6.5.0.144). As Gostev said if you don't it is pretty dangerous. I have performed the above steps several dozen times for similar situations with no negative feedback. I encourage you to create a support ticket if you're not familiar with the SQL interface as support is trained to access and modify the database in scenarios like this.
it worked like a charm, thanks again!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Raphael, thanks for confirming that the proposed solution worked for you, much appreciated.