Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bhwong
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

resume backup?

Post by bhwong »

Some of our VMs at remote sites are huge which will takes a few days to copy over the slow WAN connection. Thus, is it possible to do a backup over WAN during off peak and pause it during peak period, then resume again during off peak so that the backup job will not affect their bandwidth?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: resume backup?

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

For now there is no such functionality; though, thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.

In your particularly case it stands to reason to backup first to local repository, then transfer resulting backup file to a remote location, and finally map a corresponding backup job to it. Such scenario guarantees that VB&R won’t try to perform a full backup run, but an incremental one, instead.

Thanks.
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

Can I backup to the remote site local storage without deploying a proxy server there? FTP transfer support resume function. Thus, it will be useful if Veeam has this function too. Else a backup done halfway will be wasted as we have to do it from scratch again.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Can I backup to the remote site local storage without deploying a proxy server there?
You can but this process is likely to take forever, since your default proxy (VB&R server) will be used then. So, I’d strongly recommend deploying at least one proxy at remote site.
Thus, it will be useful if Veeam has this function too. Else a backup done halfway will be wasted as we have to do it from scratch again.
I do understand what you’re talking here – makes sense. However, please be aware that only the VM that have failed in the middle of backup process won’t be operable. Those which had been successfully backed up till the moment a problem occurred will be fully functional.

Thanks.
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

Every additional proxy server mean additional windows licenses, not to mention additional vdi licenses for virtualized environment right? Thus, I prefer having an agent temporary installed into the vm for backup or get a free Linux vm deployed as proxy. Will be great if veeam has prebuilt appliance for us to deploy as proxy server based on Linux, just like VMware now has prebuilt appliance for their vcenter.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Well...you don't need a dedicated server for a proxy, you can re-use any Windows server that doesn't have high load on it, anyway thanks for the feedback.