Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MS1987
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mathias

Online VM Backup with Veeam B&R?

Post by MS1987 »

Hi All,

I am currently running the trial version of Veeam B&R to have a look at all of its features.

We are impressed by its capabilities but are still looking for some best practices on how to setup the backup environment if you want to provide online backups with veeam.

So we have some VM's running at multiple client sites and want to back them up to our datacenter.

How do we do this best, when thinking of performance and security (we don't want to open to much ports at the clients site's obv.)

Thanks for you replies in advance!

Cheers!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Online VM Backup with Veeam B&R?

Post by foggy »

Mathias, considering you have Veeam B&R installed in your datacenter, you need to set up a proxy server at each customer's location for optimal VM data retrieval from the source storage.

Regarding ports to be open, please review the corresponding user guide section (p.69), all of the required are outlined there in detail.
MS1987
Novice

Post by MS1987 »

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there no problem from licensing perspective then?

So can i install a copy of Veeam at the client site with the license i will purchase for my "hosted" backups for my customers?

Is the backup job created on the client site or on the datacenter site (with the proxy on the client site selected?)

Or do i just install it on the client site and add my backup repository on that copy of veeam B&R?

Is there no documentation on this? :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I suggest reviewing the architecture part of the user guide also to get better understanding of how Veeam B&R is typically deployed and what components it consists of. In your case, you can have the Veeam B&R management server deployed locally in datacenter and need to install the proxy component at each client's side. This will not cause any licensing issues as Veeam B&R is licensed per physical CPU socket of the host(s) where source VMs reside.
MS1987
Novice

Post by MS1987 »

foggy wrote:This will not cause any licensing issues as Veeam B&R is licensed per physical CPU socket of the host(s) where source VMs reside.
That is odd, the price quote i received for hosting purposes is on a per VM basis, can this be correct?

To install the proxy component on the client site, we can just run the B&R setup? (since we don't see a "proxy only" installer)

Will review architecture section.

Thanks so far!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

That is odd, the price quote i received for hosting purposes is on a per VM basis, can this be correct?
The questions regarding license programs can be best answered by your sales representative.

Typically, Veeam licensing concerns only with number of CPU sockets of source server. However, there is a special offer exclusively for Hosting, Managed Service and Cloud Providers and it seems you’re talking exactly about it.

As to the proxy installation process, then yes, everything can be done via VB&R console:
Go to Backup Infrastructure -> Right-click Backup Proxies node -> Add VMware Backup Proxy.

For more information regarding it kindly review the “Adding Backup Proxy” section of the corresponding User Guide (p.96).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
MS1987
Novice

Post by MS1987 »

v.Eremin wrote:As to the proxy installation process, then yes, everything can be done via VB&R console:
Go to Backup Infrastructure -> Right-click Backup Proxies node -> Add VMware Backup Proxy.

For more information regarding it kindly review the “Adding Backup Proxy” section of the corresponding User Guide (p.96).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Do i understand that if i want to use an onsite windows server as proxy to process the vm and perform compression that i have to open port range 2500 - 5000 at the client's site?

This seems like a huge security issue to me?

I would love to hear from some other ppl who provide hosted VM backups in their own datacenter, on how they do it.

Thanks for the information so far!
userguide wrote:Windows
server VMware Backup Proxy TCP 2500-5000 Default range of ports used as transmission channels for backup jobs. For every TCP connection that a job uses, one port from this range is assigned.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

MS1987 wrote:Do i understand that if i want to use an onsite windows server as proxy to process the vm and perform compression that i have to open port range 2500 - 5000 at the client's site?

This seems like a huge security issue to me?
But you will use VPN connection to your client's site anyway, right?