Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rsargeant
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Sargeant

Backing up GroupWise 8 server VM using B&R v6 (SP3)

Post by rsargeant »

Hi there,

We need to backup a GroupWise 8 system running on a Windows 2003 server VM.

The Veeam job is currently running fine with VSS processing enabled for the Windows guest. However because GroupWise doesn't have a
VSS writer the only way to ensure we get a good 'consistent' GroupWise database backup is to either use a Novell utility DBCOPY to copy the
live databases to an offline staging folder or shutdown the GroupWise Agents during the backup.

Ideally what I'd like to do is the following:

When the Veeam job starts it somehow starts a script (i.e a batch file on the guest) that shutsdown the
GroupWise Agents, a Snapshot is then taken and then the GroupWise Agents are restarted (i.e using the batch file)
again as soon after the Snapshot is completed. Note: I don't have a problem with the GroupWise Agent stop/start
commands, it's the other stuff I'm not sure about.

How do I best achieve this?

Lastly, one other concern is will Veeam then update the Backup/Replication image (i.e the Snapshot) with changes that have occured within the
GroupWise VM whist the job has been running? Is so we have a problem because it is likely to corrupt the GroupWise database.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Richard.
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Re: Backing up GroupWise 8 server VM using B&R v6 (SP3)

Post by tfloor »

You can stop and start GW agents with the default VMware tools scripts.
See :
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1006671

Regards
Tristan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can use VMware Tools pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts for that. I would say it is a pretty common technique for application that do not support VSS snapshots.
rsargeant wrote:Lastly, one other concern is will Veeam then update the Backup/Replication image (i.e the Snapshot) with changes that have occured within the
GroupWise VM whist the job has been running? Is so we have a problem because it is likely to corrupt the GroupWise database.
No, your backup image will not have the changes that occurred after snapshot creation operation.
Jfmoots
Veeam Software
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: James Moots

Post by Jfmoots »

I'm a GroupWise guy from waaaaay back :) My fondest memory of backing up Groupwise was figuring out the TSA wasn't working because I'd installed my post office in the root of an NSS volume. It took buying a different backup solution and it not working for me to figure that out... GRRRR!

I was never able to automate what you're talking about. The timing never worked out nicely and I was not ok with my GroupWise services being down during a backup. I ran DBCopy jobs to a network location and then backed those up. I knew that if I had a total failure of the server my restore was a two step process. Step 1. Restore the server, Step 2. Restore the DBCopy. I actually ran DBCopy much more often than I ran a complete backup of the server. DBCopy is a fairly efficient little utilty. A VSS writer would have been nicer... but that's Novell for you. Shouldn't you be running it on OES anyway?! :)

Good luck.
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Post by tfloor »

We also have gwava reload for groupwise backups.
But take a backup of that server takes 4 hours because it has 14 days of grouPwise backups. :)
So maybe it's better to exclude and only backup GW server each night.
briggs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan Thompson

[MERGED] Anyone backing up Netware 6.5 with GroupWise 8?

Post by briggs »

Hi,
I'm running a Novell NW6.5 server as a VM, NSS volumes, it's running GroupWise 8.
I've backed it up with Veeam initially, but now every subsequent incremental is taking longer to complete than the original backup. I'm setting the Enable VW quiescence option for the backup.
Can anyone give me some feedback on how to get this running properly, because right now the backups are running well over 12 hours, it's not workable at the minute.

Many thanks, Alan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Alan, please look through the topic above and there is also another existing topic on backing up Groupwise on Netware: Backup for Groupwise on Netware.

Hope this helps.
briggs
Enthusiast

Post by briggs »

Thanks foggy, I'd spotted that thread before, I was after someone with real experience doing it. I'm finding that the backups really are not performing well, the incrementals are not small (I guess GroupWise's inherently secure mailstore is to blame) but the processing time on our 700GB Mail server is running on for over 7 hours - not ideal at all really. I may have to look into another option, really didn't want to go down that road though, the budget won't really stretch to a dedicated solution for GroupWise!
If anyone out there has the experience of doing GroupWise on NetWare with Veeam, please do let me know how it works out for you! Thanks, Alan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

but the processing time on our 700GB Mail server is running on for over 7 hours
Can you confirm that CBT is being used during incremental runs (take a look at job statistics session, looking for [cbt] metric)? And what are the bottleneck statistics for this job? Thanks.
briggs
Enthusiast

Post by briggs »

It is yes, though now incrementals are running fine again! I am clueless as to why!!!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you need a deep investigation, feel free to open a ticket with our support team. Otherwise, leave it as it is, since nowadays everything works, as expected. :)

Thanks.
briggs
Enthusiast

Post by briggs »

Many thanks, I initially didn't want to raise tickets with Veeam since I'm such a new customer, I realise these problems could be our own making initially. I will be right back if I can't get this performing consistently, though fingers crossed, the problem that I couldn't explain, went away all by itself!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I will be right back if I can't get this performing consistently
Surely. Don’t hesitate to contact us, should any help be needed or any additional questions arise. We are more than willing to help you. Thanks.