Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
leeg123
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: lee garet

vdi in a box

Post by leeg123 »

Just curious

Anyone else using citrix VDI in a box applicance on vmware 5.1 ? I was just testing and when i tried to backup two provisioned VM's i get the following error during the backup
6/23/2013 11:37:11 PM :: Error: Client error: DiskLib error: [11].The operation completed successfully

"Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:192.168.37.158,nfchost:ha-host,stg:192.168.37.253:/vmshare@win7-imagev15ceaf9/vm3/../win7-image.vmdk]."

This is lab situation, so no urgency, but was curious if others are using veam 6.5 to backup these types of vm's

Thank you

lee
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: vdi in a box

Post by veremin »

Hi, Lee. I'm wondering how these Virtual Machines have been provisioned. As linked clones or as full images, instead? I'm asking, since
it isn't possible to backup linked clones with VB&R.

Thanks.
leeg123
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: lee garet

Post by leeg123 »

Actually, I believe they are linked clones. VDI in a box does all the back end provisioning.
I guess that answers that. I’m wondering what others are doing to protect these VMs. Our plan was to use VDI in a box for further workstation deployments
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Lee,
I've not used Citrix platform, but VMware View. I think anyway best practices can somehow be comparable. There are first of all some design considerations in order to have disposable VMs to give to users, where absolutely no data are left into the desktop VMs: this is usually achieved with redirected folders, documents for example, so that user files are saved in a server VM that can be saved like a usual file server.

In View, I then protect all the management VMs (vCenter, DB, View and Composer) and only the "golden image" or parent VM. If I loose the environment, I first restore the management VMs, than the parent VM, and from here I recreate all the pools of user VMs.

Probably, I would not save all the VMs even if they would not be linked clones but regular VMs.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1