Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
maverick964_uk
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mike Lavery

Veeam 6.5 performance....

Post by maverick964_uk »

We have Veeam 6.5 with daily fulls (yes I know....but customer is demanding it!!).
vcenter 5.1
veeam server is a VM with 16 cores and 16GB ram.
general utilisation is 35% cpu and 7GB ram.

backups write out to HP D2D CIFS shares....which now has the firmware fix to resolve the backup file issue and replication..... :D

Problem now is performance.
One datastore is taking 14hrs to backup. Has 36VM's
most VM's seem to report the primary bottleneck as Source.

MB's on each VM seems to vary drastically, from 39MB/s to over 200MB/s.

Based on this information we could split the backup into multiple jobs as Veeam only seems to backup sequencially.

Are there configuration options that could help? ie, change block tracking?? :roll:

thanks!
maverick964_uk
Expert

Re: Veeam 6.5 performance....

Post by maverick964_uk »

another odd one, is the backup reports 30% complete but its done 32 or 36 VM's. This tells me the overall percentage complete is much higher that 30%....!? :shock:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

maverick964_uk wrote:most VM's seem to report the primary bottleneck as Source.
What transport mode is used to retrieve source VMs data from the storage?
maverick964_uk wrote:MB's on each VM seems to vary drastically, from 39MB/s to over 200MB/s.
In fact, this is completely expected.
maverick964_uk wrote:Are there configuration options that could help? ie, change block tracking?? :roll:
Since we are talking about every day active fulls here, CBT is not of much help actually.
maverick964_uk
Expert

Post by maverick964_uk »

thanks for the reply.......I believe hotadd is the transport mode but the data then goes out to the CIFS share.

yes CBT is only for incrementals really. Just wondered if it was useful as CBT saves space based on previous snapshots.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

maverick964_uk wrote:I believe hotadd is the transport mode but the data then goes out to the CIFS share.
Then splitting the job into several ones seems to be the proper way to optimize the backup window.
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

If "Source" truly is the bottleneck, you will probably get minimal benefit from splitting the job. Your reads will be less sequential when running multiple jobs at the same time. The primary benefit would be when 1 job isn't reading data because of VM prep/snapshot creation/snapshot removal. So I suppose if your job spends 1 hour doing VM prep/etc., you could theoretically gain that hour back by getting (slightly) better source saturation using multiple jobs.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

maverick964_uk wrote:another odd one, is the backup reports 30% complete but its done 32 or 36 VM's. This tells me the overall percentage complete is much higher that 30%....!? :shock:
From my experience (which I could be misinterpreting), this seems to be a report of the percentage of total disk space that has been backed up. And it does NOT adjust for excluded disks.

VM1 500Gb
VM2 250Gb
VM3 250Gb

After VM1 is finished, it'll say 50% complete.

VM1 700Gb
VM2 200Gb
VM3 100Gb
VM3 excluded disk 2Tb

After VM2 is finished, it'll say 30%, when it's actually 90%.

Again -- that's my interpretation of my experience.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you are talking about the "Processed" counter, then it is calculated from what CBT has returned for all VMs in a job. This includes empty space and swap blocks that will be jumped through very fast. Not sure about excludes though, need to check.
maverick964_uk
Expert

Post by maverick964_uk »

yes I think Ted is right here, Veeam is looking at the total disk space.
We dont run any exclusions or CBT at present therefore the percentage seems to base itself on the overall disk space of the datastore I'm trying to backup.

thanks guys!!

BTW, will Veeam 7 offer some parallelism of backing up vm's concurrently in one backup job??
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Btw, quick tests showed that excludes are neither considered in the Processed counter value, nor in the amount of data taken as 100% for the entire job to process.
maverick964_uk wrote:BTW, will Veeam 7 offer some parallelism of backing up vm's concurrently in one backup job??
There will be some improvements in this area, stay tuned.
maverick964_uk
Expert

Post by maverick964_uk »

many thanks!

When we see poor MB/s how do we go about troubleshooting? It seems difficult as I do think vmware is the bottleneck (the source).
We dont seem to get the write rate and it wont make a difference if we use our virtual proxy or a dedicated one.

Maybe SAN based physical proxy will..... :lol:
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

maverick964_uk wrote:When we see poor MB/s how do we go about troubleshooting? It seems difficult as I do think vmware is the bottleneck (the source).
Not VMware, but the storage itself, actually.
maverick964_uk wrote:Maybe SAN based physical proxy will..... :lol:
You could try. Generally, physical proxy with direct SAN access can provide better results than hotadd.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry » 1 person likes this post

In my experience, for the full backup you're talking about, Veeam doesn't get in the way. So whatever is the slowest amongst source storage, network, destination storage, or (unlikely) destination processing power (for all the dedupe/compression); will be the bottleneck.

Unless you're failing over to network mode. That's just all kinds of unfortunate.