Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ngirdhar
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nik

Distributed Deployment Scenarios.

Post by ngirdhar »

Curious to know more about the distributed deployment scenarios that v7 will support. Is it possible for multiple sites to replicate on to one single site and vice verse (for one site to replicate on to multiple different sites) using the Veeam BR?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Distributed Deployment Scenarios.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Nik,

These kind of scenarios are possible even now. You can have a single backup console and multiple proxy servers doing all the job - replicating VMs from the HQ to offsite (and vice versa).

Thanks!
ngirdhar
Novice

Post by ngirdhar »

Thanks Vitaliy for replying.

So lets say I have 4 Production Sites (A, B, C and D) and 2 Recovery Sites (E and F). If I want A, B and C to replicate to E. Also D to replicate to both E and F. For this be possible do I have to install

1) 6 backup consoles (server?) - 1 on each site (A, B, C, D, E and F) for managing the replication jobs
2) 3 backup proxies - 1 each on A, B and C (for writing the data)
3) 4 backup proxies on E for reading the data
4) 2 backup proxies on D for writing the data (to E and F)
5) 1 backup proxy on F (for reading the data from D)

Would the above scenario work? Or do I need an Enterprise Manager?
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom » 2 people like this post

ngirdhar wrote:Thanks Vitaliy for replying.

So lets say I have 4 Production Sites (A, B, C and D) and 2 Recovery Sites (E and F). If I want A, B and C to replicate to E. Also D to replicate to both E and F. For this be possible do I have to install

Would the above scenario work? Or do I need an Enterprise Manager?
I guess it would work but it seems complicated.
I think I would try a more simple setup like this:

* 2 Backup servers with console for management, one in E and one in F. These can act as proxies as well.
(this means that you can still manage your backups/recovery if you have your recovery sites left...)

* at least 4 more proxies, one in each production site, (more if more speed/jobs that one can handle is needed)

And of course you need storage/repositories where you want to keep your data....

You can use the same proxies from more than one scheduling server (console) just as long as you keep track of your compute needs, so the numbers of actual proxies would depend more on your need for parallel tasks (speed...) than physical locations.

If you want overview you deploy a Enterprise Manager somewhere and connect your two consoles to that.

BR Tobias
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Yep, Tobias was spot-on in his recommendations.

In case of offsite replication jobs it’s always recommended to have proxy servers set up on the both ends (1st closer to production, 2nd – DR). Such scenario guarantees the data will cross the WAN in highly-compressed and deduplicated state ,etc.

Furthermore, it’s advisable to deploy VB&R in your DR site. Thus, should need be (your primary site goes down, for instance), special operations like Failover, Failback can be smoothly started from there.

So, specify 4 proxy server (one per Production Site) and two instances of VB&R (one per DR site), they will play role of target proxy for replication job. Also, it might be worth to deploy EM in order to have visibility across two management servers.

You might as well install only one VB&R server in whatever DR site you want (say, E), set up additional proxy in residuary site (D) and follow one-management server scenario. No need for EM here.

Thanks.
ngirdhar
Novice

Post by ngirdhar »

Thanks Vladimir and Tobias.

Regards
Nikhil.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You’re welcome. Should any other questions arise, don’t hesitate to let us. Thanks.