Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Burgess
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Burgess

Slow backups?

Post by Burgess »

Hi,

I'm testing out veeam at the moment. Yesterday I kicked off a backup of our core VMs which come in at about 550 gigs. I came in this morning and it had backup about 220 gigs in 15 hours. Does it normally take this long?

I'm using network back up from and ESX server. It's using service console agent based backup.

If you view the real time statics it the avg performance rate is 4 MB/s. Is that normal?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Slow backups?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Stephen,

Could you please tell us what version of source ESX host are you using? If it is a vSphere one, please have a look at the following topic discussing this issue:

http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=90

On the other hand, in most cases target storage is the bottleneck of perfomance issues, it'll be great if you could send us all the job logs from Help->Support Information as well as the description of your environment to support@veeam.com, so we could help you in resolving perfomance issues.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No, 4MB/s is not normal even for ESX4. Network backup with service console agent should be 20-25MB/s for ESX4, and 50+ MB/s for ESX3.5...
Burgess
Novice
Full Name: Stephen Burgess

Post by Burgess »

Cheers guys,

I'll wait for this back up to finish running then I'll send all the details over to you.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Gostev wrote:No, 4MB/s is not normal even for ESX4. Network backup with service console agent should be 20-25MB/s for ESX4, and 50+ MB/s for ESX3.5...
I wouldn't be so sure about this. We've been using network backup mode for a while now and have typically seen 35-45MB/s when using ESX 3.5. After the upgrade to ESX 4 this weekend our backups are many times slower. While we were expecting performance to be slower based on other threads, several of the backups are still running this morning with reported speeds between 4-9MB/sec. We're going to have to switch to full VCB backups until v4 is released (we were previously not using VCB because network backups allowed us to run more jobs in parallel to maximize backup performance).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

My number were based on my own testing and may not be true for everyone. :wink:
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Right, so 4-9MB/s might be "normal" for ESX4 in certain environments. We're an iSCSI shop and that's pretty much what we're seeing with ESX4 and the network agent. Fortunately, VCB mode gives us 35-45MB/sec just like we're used to, so we'll just use that for now, we just can't quite run so many jobs in parallel. We'll live with this for a few more weeks until hopefully Veeam Backup 4 is released so that we can move it to production (heck, we're tempted to do it now).
fredbloggs
Service Provider

Post by fredbloggs »

You're not alone with the slow NBD, we were getting around 9-20MB/s depending on the image (again EQL iSCSI). Switch to VCB saw this increase to 45-65MB/s, again, can't wait until Veeam 4 is releaed, will probably start using that straight away on the current build.

A colleague had NBD running at around 2MBs, then decided to try VCB (bought an HBA) and increased it to around 4MB/s, think he has other issues