Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rnutter
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronald Nutter

Configuring VEEAM Backup with local server account

Post by rnutter »

I have just installed VEEAM Backup and am trying to configure a backup job. The software will only allow an AD account to be used. I dont have ESXi configure for AD authentication at this point and probably wont for a variety of reasons.

Is there a way to configure VEEAM Backup to use the local account on the ESXi host ?

Ron
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Configuring VEEAM Backup with local server account

Post by veremin »

Could you elaborate on it a little bit? You mean that you haven’t been able to add an ESX(i) host to a backup console, using local account? If you’re willing to add your ESX(i) server under local account, just specify it without any domain prefix:

Code: Select all

Username: root
Password: Password 
Thanks.
rnutter
Novice

Post by rnutter »

Correct. I am only using the root account on ESXi at this point. I tried using the root account and VEEAM complained it couldnt find the account. I even try adding a root account on my local machine and still no joy.

Ron
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I know this might sound obvious, but can you confirm that you’ve set proper credentials? The rightness of them can be verified by connecting to your host via vSphere-client.

Thanks
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

if pointing to the VC you need to use the password you use to sign into the VC and the the root for the esx server.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Ronald, try to enter "root" and your password, not "hostname\root".
You can also try FQDN or IP of host instead of hostname
rnutter
Novice

Post by rnutter »

v.Eremin: Yes, I have confirmed the credentials. I am attached to the ESXi servers by that same account using the vSphere client.

The VEEAM client wont let me enter root as a username, it says it doesnt exist. The laptop I am testing with isnt configured to talk to a domain. I have tried the ip address of the host as well. No joy.

The VEEAM client wont let me type in a username, it insists on looking up the username on my laptop. Dont see a way to enter it directly.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ronald, do you probably experience the same issue?
rnutter
Novice

Post by rnutter »

Not sure what you mean about the same issue. I can login to any of my four UCS Blades using the local account in ESXi that was configured when I installed ESXi using the vSphere client. Just can login using the VEEAM Backup client. I am a little surprised that it insists on looking at the local account store on my laptop. I should be able to just enter the credentials for the ESXi server. I cant.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

My assumption is that you do not see the text box to enter the account name due to not standard DPI on your laptop (just like it is shown here), and see just the Browse button. Isn't that the case?
rnutter
Novice

Post by rnutter »

I see the graphic you talk about. When I click the browse button, it insists on checking the account with what I have locally and wont let me enter it if it cant find it locally.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Do you have similar situation to the one depicted on a screenshot that is provided above, seeing only “Browse” button or you fully see the other fields, as well?

In first case, kindly follow the piece of advice given, change the text size (DPI) in Windows Display settings to default (100%) and reboot. Otherwise, if all the fields are visible, please don’t click "Browse" button and try to specify required credentials in corresponding column.

Thanks.
rnutter
Novice

Post by rnutter »

v.Emerin:

Thanks for the info on changing the DPI settings. Changing that made the print small enough that I have a hard time reading it but I will live with that for now. I can now enter the credentials and have started adding the blades from my UCS server. Hopefully VEEAM will add a Mac client some day. Even though I use a windows machine at work, I prefer to be on a Mac.

Thanks for your help,
Ron
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad that you’ve finally nailed down your issue. If any additional questions arise, don’t hesitate to let us know. Thanks.