Novice
Liked: never

LOW bandwidth usage on backup server

Post by burtos »

support case 00247941

Dell dr4000 cifs share backup repository
Veeam 6.5 (fully patched and updated)
Veeam backup is on Windows Server 2012

I have been experiencing slow backup speeds for a while now, i have had dell support on the phone concerning the dr4000 and they belive its only processing the amount of data it is actually receiving ( roughly at the moment 35-40MBps when doing a full backup) , it has been over 100MBps in the past

So i have been doing is testing the nic card on the backup server, I’ve upgraded the nic driver and then done some large file copying to and from the backup server to see the network card throughput, this seems to be ok as I’m getting around 900mbits sending and receiving throughout the testing. So I see no issue with the nic as such. A problem arises when I try a test backup and check the throughput of the nic card than the nic card only seems to hover between 250mbps to 350mbps with the occasional spike to 500mbps. So it seems that veeam only uses a third of the bandwidth available.

Question would be why doesnt veeam utilize the bandwidth to its full potential, as its now slowing down my backups considerably.

Reading a few forums posts concerning WAN replication speeds, somebody suggested configuring a reg key to a higher number to improve the speeds. is this possible using a LAN backup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: LOW bandwidth usage on backup server

Post by veremin »

You might try to enable “use multiple TCP/IP connections” in the settings of corresponding proxy server and see whether it helps or not. Thanks.
burtos
Novice

Post by burtos »

This option is already enabled within the proxy settings
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then you could try the registry key you were talking about to increase the default number of connections per job.
burtos
Novice

Post by burtos »

Does the new registry entry need to be added into the main folder within

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes.
burtos
Novice

Post by burtos »

what number higher than 5 would you recommend as a starting point, so as not to crash the network if it is possible to crash the network and if this is the issue to actually notice any difference in the speed of the backups
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You could increase it gradually and watch the difference so that you could find out the optimal number for your link.
burtos
Novice

Post by burtos »

ok, i shall start at 7, will this only be useful on a full backup to see any increased performance if any or should i notice the difference on a incremental backup
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Assuming that above mentioned reg key helps you to increase bandwidth utilization, you are likely to see the better speed during either incremental or full backup run. Thanks.