Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Windows Storage Server 2012 compatibility

Post by pkelly_sts »

I've seen posts saying 2008 Storage server isn't supported for some features due to (effectively) some crippling of that version of the O/S. Is this still teh case with 2012 Storage server?

I'd really like to use an HP StoreEasy 1630 (12 x 3Tb drives) with an FC card into the SAN and an LTO-6 SAS tape drive for super efficient backups but am not sure of the support side of things.

We do currently use a 2008 Storage server (x1600) which got set-up prior to realising the support situation (although I've never managed to get vPower working on it, likley due to MS' NFS even though the services are stopped) and it's been ideal other than the NFS thing.

If worst comes to worst it's almost worth buying the unit & just replacing the O/S with a standard version as it just fits our plans so well.

Any comments/suggestions?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Windows Storage Server 2012 compatibility

Post by Gostev »

I don't believe this was specifically tested, because we do not have such Windows Storage Server 2012 box in our labs. Did you try?
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

No, I haven't tried myself yet. I may see if the client will let me spin up a Technet version for evaluation in their environment.

If I do, I'll report findings back here.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

OK, I've set up a physical server based on WSS 2012 and, as I kind of suspected, vPower hasn't initially worked "out of the box". As it may not be an officially tested (so unsupported?) solution, but in the interests of sharing experience, should I post findingd/queries here, or rais a support case?

Happy to invest time trying stuff whilst time allows...
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Whilst waiting for an answer to the last question I thought I might as well post /some/ info here, it can always be deleted if I should be doing something else!

(Note: I've annonymised some of the server name, domain, IP info for obvious reasons)

====================
When the vPower service is stopped on the WSS2012 server, the vCenter error I get when trying to add it as an NFS store to a host is:
---
Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-665" on vCenter Server "VCENTRE01.MYINTDOMAIN.CO.UK" failed.
NFS mount WSS2012:/VeeamBackup_WSS2012 failed: Unable to connect to NFS server.
---
When the vPower service is started on the WSS2012 server, the error I get when trying to add it as an NFS store is:
---
Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-665" on vCenter Server "VCENTRE01.MYINTDOMAIN.CO.UK" failed.
NFS mount WSS2012:/VeeamBackup_WSS2012 failed: The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it.
---
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Paul, it would be much appreciated if you could open a support case and provide all the information to our engineers. Thanks!
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

No problem, will do...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You could reference this thread and say that our QC is interested in this also so that the case be handled properly. Thanks for your help!
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

Logged as 00258904 & reference to this thread included.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

And a quick update is, that it's all working! I have to eat my hat as the first response (quite rightly) from support was "Have you actually tried doing a restore?". I hadn't as, due to earlier issues with the WSS 2008 box, I had been attempting to add the NFS store to the host manually, as per the usual KB that is referred to when troubleshooting such things. Using that process on another repository server worked fine, just not on the WSS 2008 NAS box, or this new WSS2012 box.

However, when I just initiated a restore, up popped the NFS within the host and, it just worked! I tried the same process for a backup on the original WSS2008 box and that also popped right up and just worked!

I'm extremely happy now and starting to play with SureBackup jobs (could use a pointer to some more detailed info re: the networking side of the Virtual Labs part of it if anyone knows of one).

So, in a nutshell, installing Windows Storage Server 2012 Evaluation version onto a physical box, and installing the latest HP Support Pack works out of the box with no other changes, most likely because NFS isn't installed as a feature in a vanilla install. I know the likes of HP NAS boxes based on WSS2012 will likely have NFS installed but I think I'm confident enough that this part can probably be uninstalled prior to configuring as a repository.

Now all I need is you guys to relase V7 so that I'm no longer dependent on Backup Exec for copying to tape! :-) (Backup Exec has its own issues currently with support of 2012 but that's a whole other forum...)

Thanks again and I hope this thread is useful to someone!

Paul
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It definitely is, thanks a lot for sharing, Paul.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm extremely happy now and starting to play with SureBackup jobs (could use a pointer to some more detailed info re: the networking side of the Virtual Labs part of it if anyone knows of one).
As a first source of information use this blog post that will help you to understand how recovery veirification of VM backups can be automated in VB&R.

Also, please take a look on Veeam B&R SureBackup How-to document written by Ben Milligan, our Tech Support Lead.

With regards to network configuration, the following links might be helpful:

Virtual Lab Configuraion Networking
5 important points of virtual lab networking

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
markhumphreys
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Humphreys

[MERGED] HP X1600 Storage Server 2008R2

Post by markhumphreys »

Hi Can anyone confirm that the HP X1600 SS2008 R2 server will work directly with Veeam installed on it or will it need a Proxy server? Be reading mixed reports and wanted definitive answers as need to inmplement a project with the server and 6.5.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Mark, Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 is not in the list of officially supported OS's (neither for the console nor the proxy server) outlined in the release notes available with your download.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

foggy wrote:Mark, Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 is not in the list of officially supported OS's (neither for the console nor the proxy server) outlined in the release notes available with your download.
Just adding some helpful formatting ;) The EULA for Storage server does not allow you to install additional Applications , though I would be tempted to argue that a veeam transport service for a repository isn't an application per se, but I'll leave that to the legal folk.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Ah, I wasn't aware of that entry in the EULA - is that the reason it's not on the supported list (as oppsoed to a technical reason?). If so, I'm happy to "live dangerously" & argue similar to you if ever pulled up on it.

Supported or not, I can categorically say that I have it working fully now on the X1600 with Storage Server 2008 R2. I think part of my earlier issues /might/ have revolved around Veeam already being installed when I first started looking into it, and then my attempts to change the default vPower location (which I've since read can be rather finnicky). I set it back to the default and even the vPower side of things now works just fine.

Everything else has also always worked fine (and Pssst: don't tell MS that we've also installed BExec on that box :-)