Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
LucasM
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: lucas mutuverria

Ip conflict after installing virtual box on Server 2008 r2

Post by LucasM »

Hi guys, this is my first post here, so ill try to do my best-

I have 3 servers running on my company, all of them running server 2008 r2. I have about 140 virtual machines virtualized on hyper-v.
But recently, an employee installed Virtual Box on the newest server (we finished installing it last week). And suddenly, all the virtual machines on that server started having network issues. [unidentified network]
I tried uninstalling virtual box, wich is not important to me particularly, but the problem seem to remain. The only way i found to solve this problem, is by changing the static IP from the server to a dynamic one.

Whats the problem? by doing this, we wont be able to log in to the server by using the VPN. When i stay home, the only way to connect via remote desktop to that server, is by the static IP-

Could this be a hyperV vs Virtual box issue ? if i m not mistaken, before installing virtual box the server was running fine.

All answers will be appreciated.

Lucas.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Ip conflict after installing virtual box on Server 2008

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lucas,

Hmm...what network adapter have you chosen for the Virtual Box? How is your VM network configured on the Hyper-V host? If I were you I would also check events on that Windows Server for more info on the root cause of the issue.

P.S. And why did you need virtual box on a Hyper-V server? ;)

Thanks!
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Re: Ip conflict after installing virtual box on Server 2008

Post by scidoner »

Indeed... what would be the purpose of installing VirtualBox on a Hyper-V box?!

You have a lot of VMs that suggesting to delete the vNetwork/vSwitch on Hyper-V might be a silly one...but you could try that if you don't mind reconfiguring 100+ VMs.