Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
soylent
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Max

Replication datastore out of disk space

Post by soylent »

I have 753 GB on 10 VMs. I am replicating nightly to a 2 TB datastore. It is set to 1 restore point, optimal compression, WAN target. The datastore has nothing else on it except replica VMs.

The issue is that the 2 TB datastore has run out of space.

First of all, after the in-line dedupe and compression of 1 revision, how does 753 GB fill up 2 TB?
Second question: I have a second 2 TB datastore. How can I (safely) split up the replication job between the two datastores?
*or is there a way to increase the 2 TB datastore limitation?

Thanks!
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Re: Replication datastore out of disk space

Post by kjc3303 »

First of all, after the in-line dedupe and compression of 1 revision, how does 753 GB fill up 2 TB?
a replica is an exact copy of you original vm in terms of disk size is it possible a thin to thick issue? or storage deduplication at the source side but not Target?
Second question: I have a second 2 TB datastore. How can I (safely) split up the replication job between the two datastores?
Create two jobs pointing at different datastores
*or is there a way to increase the 2 TB datastore limitation?
VMFS 5 will support 64tb datastores although you will still have the maximum disk space limitation of 2tb -512

Cheers

Kev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication datastore out of disk space

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Max,
soylent wrote:First of all, after the in-line dedupe and compression of 1 revision, how does 753 GB fill up 2 TB?
Can you please compare VM folders on the target and source datastores via vSphere Client? Also can you please tell me you job configuration? Do you pick the same disk type (thin/thick) for replicated VMs?
soylent wrote:Second question: I have a second 2 TB datastore. How can I (safely) split up the replication job between the two datastores?
In the replication job settings you can select target datastores for each disk of replicated VMs.
soylent wrote:*or is there a way to increase the 2 TB datastore limitation?
Not sure it is possible, however you may want to use datastore extents, though this option is not considered as best practice.

Thank you!