PowerShell script exchange
juacosta
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Juan Ramon Acosta

Are there any best practice about scheduling jobs?

Post by juacosta »

Everyone,

I automated the backup job creation process and I am scheduling jobs at a given time during the day(arbitrary). I attempted to retrieve global settings on the server on which the job will be created in an attempt to run an algorithm that allowed me to space jobs in the continuum of time, but so far I have not been able to find any data that will reliably allow me to compute a date in time that will insure some distribution that does not cause the server to be overwhelm.

Also I searched the documentation on-line and neither I have found information about:

1) How many jobs can be schedule to start concurrently at the same time or within +/- 1 min of each other?
2) How many jobs can be schedule per Veeam backup server instance?
3) How many concurrent running backup jobs per Veeam backup server instance can be run?

Can any of you or the Veeam backup product or support team provide any guidance, documents or best practices

Thanks

--Juan Ramón
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Are there any best practice about scheduling jobs?

Post by veremin »

1) How many jobs can be schedule to start concurrently at the same time or within +/- 1 min of each other?
However much you’re willing to.
2) How many jobs can be schedule per Veeam backup server instance?
However much you’re willing to.
3) How many concurrent running backup jobs per Veeam backup server instance can be run?
Actually, the situation is slightly different.

You should think about central VB&R server as a “brain” of solution – this component is responsible for job management and scheduling, indexing tasks, and general orchestration of the backup and replication environment. Meanwhile, all of the required operations are done by “muscles” (proxy servers) and here where a thoughtful planning should take place. (Note: The role of default proxy is played by VB&R management server).

So, number of concurrent job has to do with proxy servers and resources specified to them. According to the best practise, proxy resources should be as the following:

Ram : 2GB + 2GB*Concurrent Job
(v)CPU : 2*Concurrent Job

Hope this helps.
Thanks.