Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
coolgod
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Vicky | techvicky.com

what happens when replication link goes down?

Post by coolgod »

my scenario is like the following:

ESXi 4 PROD----VEEAM BR 6.5 ---- ESXi 4 DR

the ESXi DR is located in another building.
currently i configured the replication schedule as continuous & the replication is running OK .
i want to know what happens when the link goes down unexpectedly while replication is on & we are in the DR to take the server for restoration at the client for demo purpose.

*will the VM's poweron successfully ?

*is integrity of vms maintained ??
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: what happens when replication link goes down?

Post by veremin »

If for some reasons replication job fails, you will be still able to use previous restore points without any issues.

Though, I wouldn’t recommend to power on replica VMs while continuous replication job is still running, since it might lead to unexpected consequences. You’d better disable replication job for a little while or test it outside the actual replication window.

With regards to certain steps that should be taken in order to test replica VMs, kindly see our sticky FAQ.

Thanks.
coolgod
Enthusiast

Post by coolgod »

i think u didnt understand me.

while continuous replication is going on, i just unplugged the ethernet cable from the DR machine hence
completely isolating it like this:

ESXi 4 PROD----VEEAM BR 6.5-------------ESXi 4 DR

when i power the VMs on the DR site will they power on successfully ??
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If it’s all about testing, I would still recommend disabling replication job first, and only then detaching Ethernet cable; so that, replications activity wouldn’t be interrupted right in the midst.

Otherwise, if we are talking here about unexpected event, probably, the last restore point (created when replication job has broken down) would be useless, though, other restore points should work well.

Additionally, may I ask you where your VB&R server is located? At Production site or at DR one? I’m asking, since in case of replication it’s always recommended to have additional VB&R instance installed in DR site, so that, should need be, special operations like Failover, Failback can be smoothly started from there.

Thanks.
coolgod
Enthusiast

Post by coolgod »

in fact i just wanted to play around & pull out the ethernet cable in the middle of replication.
can i choose which restore point to start from within ESXi server independently of Veeam Machine.

my veeam backup server is on the PROD side.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, you can; since restore points are nothing but VMware snapshots. You can connect to your ESX(i) host via vShere client, go to snapshot manager, and choose whatever snapshot you like to.

Though, I still suggest to deploy additional VB&R in DR location due to the aforesaid reasons (easy/automatic Failover/Failback, etc.)

Thanks.
coolgod
Enthusiast

Post by coolgod »

Ok this means i can choose a restore point & start it. right ?

also the last one is named "Veeam Replica Working snapshot" what does that mean?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

coolgod wrote:Ok this means i can choose a restore point & start it. right ?
Right.
coolgod wrote:also the last one is named "Veeam Replica Working snapshot" what does that mean?
This one is a helper snapshot used for replication itself. Should be automatically deleted by Veeam B&R, however, you can delete it manually if the job is not running at the moment and the snapshot still resides on the storage.
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] query on replications

Post by terrance101 »

Hey guys,

just wondering here, we need our replications to be on a fairly regular basis, looks like we're going to be shooting for the 2 hour mark. Now what happens if the network fails during replication, will the target server on the other side fail to start because the replication did not complete? And if so is there to avoid this happening?
veremin
Product Manager

Re: query on replications

Post by veremin »

If replication job fails for some reason, the replica will be reverted to the last known good restore point. So, no issues with that. Thanks.