Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

License Question

Post by nmace »

I've licensed Veeam for 8 sockets, which is the size of my current cluster. We're getting ready to stand up a new 5.1 cluster which will also be 8 sockets. There will be quite a bit of time during which I'll need to backup production VMs on both clusters until everything gets migrated. From a licensing standpoint, what's the best way to go at that?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: License Question

Post by Gostev »

From the technical perspective, you need a 16 socket license to backup VMs from 16 sockets at the same time.

Potentially, you could deploy a separate Veeam server with the same 8 socket license, and point it to the new cluster. Technically, this will be a violation of your licensing agreement, but considering your scenario and temporary nature of the situation, this might be alright. I suggest that you talk to your Veeam sales rep regarding that, since I am completely not involved with licensing and legal/contracts, and can only comment on technological aspects... for example, may be they will choose to issue you an extended 16 sockets trial for your migration project instead.