Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Caillin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Caillin Peacock

DR for Backup Copy Jobs?

Post by Caillin »

We are considering moving from DPM to Veeam for protecting our Hyper-V environment. We currently backup our VMs and guest application/file data to tape and rotate this off-site with a GFS strategy. I'm trying to put together a configuration of Veeam that will achieve the same level of retention and protection but eliminating the tape component.

We have an off-site office that has a server and disk that is currently protecting our primary DPM server. I'm envisaging using the new Backup Copy Job feature of v7 to send a GFS of the same strategy us we use currently to this off-site WAN connected server. The question I have though, is in this scenario, I only have a single copy of my historical data on the off-site disk. I'd like to get comment from Veeam on whether the Backup Copy Job allows you to send the job to two different locations for fault tolerance? If this is possible, would it be just a matter of rebuilding the failed off-site Backup Copy Job target, and then seeding it with the repository of the surviving Backup Copy Job target?

I'm just a little nervous only having a single copy of the long term retained data points.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: DR for Backup Copy Jobs?

Post by veremin »

I'd like to get comment from Veeam on whether the Backup Copy Job allows you to send the job to two different locations for fault tolerance?
You will have to create two different Backup Copy Jobs. And since we’re talking here about copying data via WAN connection I’d strongly recommend considering implementation of WAN accelerator component that is likely to significantly reduce data traffic sent through the WAN link.

Thanks.