Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Veeam Copy vs RoboCopy

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
I copy the veeam full backup files via a RoboCopy script to a dedicated location which is backed up to tape. Now, this process triggers several disk latency alarms across the vsphere environment. Therefore I run the Robocopy script after production hrs. I've setup a Veeam copy job and copy the veeam full backups files to the dedicated location and I don't see any disk latency alarms. My question, could it be that veeam is throttling something that would prevent disk latency alarms? or does the veem proxy server has something to do with it.

The dedicated location is added as repository. However, it's only one copy job and the load control is set to 4. so, it can't be that.

> brainstorming
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Copy vs RoboCopy

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hello, one assumption could be that, unlike Veeam B&R File Copy job, that does not perform any deduplication of the transferred data, Robocopy (AFAIK) analyses files for duplicates during processing, which results in additional amount of I/O operations. The way of reading data could be another point - Robocopy probably reads small chunks of data very frequently, thus putting higher load on storage.
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Re: Veeam Copy vs RoboCopy

Post by flavor4real »

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.