Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tsukraw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tucker Sukraw

Veeam Cloud Edition to Private Storage

Post by tsukraw »

We are looking at possible using Veeam Cloud Edition to get our backups offsite. We are wanting to backup to our own storage at a offsite location. Aside from setting up a OpenStack server is there any supported method to connecting into private storage with Veeam Cloud Edition? I know there is a file system option but this is assuming they are on 2 completely separate networks not connected by VPN.

Thank you!
Tucker Sukraw
Network Architect
West Central Technology
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Veeam Cloud Edition to Private Storage

Post by tsightler »

If you're looking for options outside of OpenStack, which is really a great option for setting up true, redundant, private cloud storage and making it available securely over the internet, then other options are solutions like Eucalyptus, which provides S3 compatible cloud offerings with Walrus, which is also supported by CE. There are also some commercial storage offerings that are starting to offer S3 compatible API's which should work. For example, my understanding is that EMC Atmos 2.1 version now includes S3 API compatibility and these have not been fully tested with CE, but should work.
tsukraw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tucker Sukraw

Post by tsukraw »

So you think the best solution woudl be to look at getting OpenStack setup?
I have never worked with it before. Is there a way to install it on top of windows or is it a truly Linux based solution?
Tucker Sukraw
Network Architect
West Central Technology
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

That's a hard question to answer. If you truly want a "cloud" storage solution then OpenStack or Eucalyptus are probably the best options, but standing up a multinode cloud storage system just for this purpose is non-trivial, at least if you want to do it correctly with properly redundancy. I believe the smallest "production" OpenStack solution requires 4 storage nodes. You can setup smaller test nodes, or "cloud-in-a-box" type options, but cloud storage isn't just about the interface, it's about the redundancy and availability of storage and the infrastructure around it.

The easy solution is to just use CE to replicate to a file share, but I can't really suggest this option without VPN. Setting up a simple VPN between two servers is pretty trivial in comparison to building your own cloud storage solution.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

It also depends on the size of the storage you need, sometimes the effort for setting up a distributed object storage is too much, regardless it is openstack, eucalyptus, or even commercial solutions like Scality (also supported by cloud editions). On commercial products like Scality, licensing is based on consumed storage, and usually prices are good if you use at least 50-100 Tb and becomes even more cheap as you grow. For small environments is not so cheap, unless you use the same software but offered as a service by a cloud provider.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
SGL3
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: SGL3

Post by SGL3 »

tsightler
...There are also some commercial storage offerings that are starting to offer S3 compatible API's which should work. For example, my understanding is that EMC Atmos 2.1 version now includes S3 API compatibility and these have not been fully tested with CE, but should work...
True, AT&T STaaS is an example of this they use EMC Atmos 2.1 and support S3 API compatibility but when configuring a cloud storage account in Veeam Cloud Edition how can I point to storage.synaptic.att.com?

Seems we can only select from the list of cloud storage vendors included with Veeam Cloud Edition with no way to specify a different hostname for S3 compatible services like AT&T.

Is there some way to do this that I am missing?
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

It's a good question, right now the best option is to use one of the other "S3-like" accounts and then override the service point. For example, Walrus storage is effectively S3, but they do use some slightly different terminology (Query ID instead of API Key for example). You should also be able to use some of the other S3-like services such as Mezeo or Scality. I've had success using these with other S3-like services by simply overriding the service point URI. I agree a "generic S3" account option might be nice, similar to the OpenStack option but for now it should be possible to use one of these options. If I get a chance I'll try out the AT&T service sometime this week.
daniel.young
Lurker
Full Name: Daniel Young

Post by daniel.young »

Hi Tom,

Did you manage to test this yet? I am also looking at the feasibility of using Cloud Edition with Atmos as a target.

Thanks
Doh
Lurker
Full Name: Pete Doyle

Post by Doh »

Having just deployed atmos I would also like to be able to do this if anyone's got any further info?