Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
phillbl
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: phill

backing up all virtual machines on a host

Post by phillbl »

hi,

we have a requirement to backup all vms on esx host using the one mgmt vlan. i am creating a backup job and from the drop down list i can see all esx hosts and vm's listed in the 'select objects' screen. If i try to backup a vm on its own i assume that it will do this over the network and cross vlans. well i tried doing it this way and i mentioned that it was unable to contact the vm so that what i am going with.

if i were to select a esx host it calculates all the vms that are running on the server. is this how i would backup all servers on each host as the software is connecting using the hyperviser and not traversing the different vlans?

my only concern is testing... its a lot of data to test the first backup job i have ever created on backup and replication. any options to deselect the vms on the hosts?

thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: backing up all virtual machines on a host

Post by veremin »

If i try to backup a vm on its own i assume that it will do this over the network and cross vlans.
It depends on proxy method being used. Only network proxy retrieves source VM data from production storage through ESX(i) network stack over management network, meanwhile, Direct SAN mode, as well as, Hot-Add guarantees lan-free data-retrieval.

In Direct SAN mode, data will be retrieved directly from production storage via SAN fabric, thus not affecting production ESX(i) hosts or management network, at all.

Proxy specified in Hot Add utilizes VMware SCSI Hot Add capability in order to attach disks of backed up VM directly to itself and get direct access to data stored inside.
its a lot of data to test the first backup job i have ever created on backup and replication. any options to deselect the vms on the hosts?
Yep, you can exclude any VM you want to. In order to do it:

Go to Job Settings -> Virtual Machines -> Exclusions.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: backing up all virtual machines on a host

Post by foggy »

Yep, the transport method does not depend on whether you are backing up a single VM or the entire host.
phillbl wrote:well i tried doing it this way and i mentioned that it was unable to contact the vm so that what i am going with.
Actually, if you do a backup with application-aware image processing, direct network connection to VM is not required as in case the VM is not accessible over the network, Veeam B&R will use VMware Tools (VIX) API to do its job. Just make sure you are specifying the correct local Administrator account for this VM.