Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
doggatas
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David O

Replica Seeding

Post by doggatas »

Hi

I am having difficulty in seeding a replica (the first replica job) at our DR site.

The primary site consists of a B&R server in which the original backup file was created. I have copied the backup files to the Backup Repository situated on the B&R server at the DR site. I then performed a re-scan on the repository at the DR site and sure enough the backup is showing up as an imported job in the B&R Backups>Imported node.

When configuring the replication job from the DR B&R console I select the repository where the copied backup files site as the initial seed, but when I run the replication job is fails with the following errors(grabbed these from log file):

Cannot find VM in the backup file specified for seeding\n

VM 'SERVERNANE' not found in backup for initial sync

Veeam at both sites is at version 6.5 patch 3

Cheers
David
yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Re: Replica Seeding

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

I had similar problem when trying to seed with VBK file created by Veeam zip.
I don't remember the exact details, but anyway at the end you can do simply this:

1. Restore a copy of the VM at the DR site, naming it "vmname_replica" for example.
2. Use the restored VM as seed for replica.

Yizhar
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David,

Did you also move metadata file to the target location? Anyway, Yizhar is correct, you can run a restore job from this backup file and then map your production VM to the VM replica created on the secondary site.

Thank you!
doggatas
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David O

Post by doggatas »

Hi Guys

I was under the impression manually restoring the VM to the esxi hosts at the DR site and then select mapping not seeding would work and it did. From what I have seen when a seed worked correctly, resotring the VM and then mapping is basically a manual seed.

I have one product that is licensed to MAC address, if I replicate this VM using Veeam, when the VM comes up at the DR site will it have the same MAC address as the VM in production? I should note, I have a seperate vCenter at DR site as well as a seperate Veeam B&R server.

EDIT: Yes the replica has the same MAC as the prod.

Once again thanks for the responses.

Cheers
David
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

EDIT: Yes the replica has the same MAC as the prod.
Yep, it’s supposed to work like this.

Nevertheless, if you’re replicating VM created from a Windows 2008 r2 or Windows 7 template with the VMXNET3 virtual network, kindly check this VMware KB article and implement the MS hotfixes referred there in order to prevent potential issues during failover/failback.

Thanks.