Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ordinary
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: supportsib

Removing Snapshot warning

Post by ordinary »

On some vm's (Continuous replication ) Sometimes i'am getting the "Removing Snapshot warning" , I am afraid that snapshot get accumulated and fill the vmfs volums.

Since i am not getting this warnings always ,can i assume that snapshot is being removed the same job run next time .

How can i troubleshoot this issue ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Removing Snapshot warning

Post by Gostev »

Best is to open a support case with VMware, and ask them to troubleshoot ESXi server logs for when snapshot removal failed. Thanks.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

I have the same behaviour on some of my VMs too. It's not always the same job or the same VM. And it doesnt happen all the time. But it seems that this happens at a time where Veeam looses his connection to the server which is hosting the DB. Snapshot got removed so no problem at all. As we've setup all of our jobs to fill some notes to the VM in vCenter i can see that the notes dont get updated on this particular VM when this warning shows up in a job. I've never been able to work out why this is happening. But it has no impact on the backup and no snapshots were left so i'm living with it.
PK_GAA
Influencer
Full Name: Peter K.

Post by PK_GAA »

We suffer the same warning on different VMs and differend jobs (backup and replikation). We could not find out, why these warnings occur. It doesn't seem to be such a big problem, but it keeps popping up, so it's something to be concerned about

Some information about our system:
* 3 esxi hosts. 2 of them in HA-mode, the third is the backup host directly connected the the iscsi-backup-storage.
* on the production-system we run 10 VMs (including 1 storage-server, 1 sql-server, 1 vcenter client (which is also the veeam b&r server), 1 domain controller)
* Productive and backup hardware is staged in two buildings, connected via straight direct link wireless LAN (connection is monitored and 99.9% of time working)
* backup proxys are: the VBR server itself, the backup vcenter client, 1 VM at backup-side, 1 VM at prodictive-side, 1 physical machine. (would it be better to have more physical machines as proxys?)
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Do you use Enterprise Manager in your environment? And if so how did you setup the scheduling for collecting data?

Just asking cause i've had it collecting data every 15mins which caused my SQL servers to get unresponsive to other queries sometimes. Try setting the scheduling to manual (just for a test) and see if you still receive the snapshot warning as i had these warnings only when my Veeam server lost the connection to the database for some reasons while removing the snapshot which caused this warning to appear.
tc.gan
Influencer
Full Name: Gan Tien Chor

Post by tc.gan »

3 of my VMs having remove snapshot warning everytime when finish of my replication job. 3 of my source VMs datastore free space is low, i try manual create snasphot and commit them(delete all) with no warning message at VMware , just Veeam prompt me this warning. I did ask Veeam support, he tell me it's due to source VMs datastore is no enough space. Is it true?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There could be various reasons of this behavior which definitely should be investigated. On a side note, since your datastore doesn't have enough free space I would install Veeam ONE free edition to monitor free space as well as VM snapshots presence.
tc.gan
Influencer
Full Name: Gan Tien Chor

Post by tc.gan »

customer just upgrade their storage and increased the datastore , but still having same warning msg of removing snapshot. i did log call to Veeam , support help me to clean the Veeam DB of the VMware snapshot but problem still persist, Veeam support already escalated to senior engineer.thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Veeam support already escalated to senior engineer
Good strategy, indeed. Kindly keep us updated the results you get. Thanks.