Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
johnny@datafant.se
Enthusiast
Liked: never

vStorage API

Post by johnny@datafant.se »

Hello,

I have a few questions about the new version.

Using vStorage API:

In a SAN, what steps need to be taken on the VB server when using VB version 4.0 in terms of diskpart commands ?
Are the steps the same as when using VCB ?

I am also bringing up a previously discussed USB drive issue:

Suppose a customer has a VB server connected to a FC SAN using the vStorage API/VCB.
The server has a local RAID group as a primary backup destination.
Customer also wants to use USB drives locally on the same server, one USB drive for each week day, used as a secondary backup destination (the VBK files is simply copied to this media).
The problem is that when a USB drive is disconnected and another one is reconnected, it will not get a drive letter automatically since this feature is disabled with the Windows diskpart command.
Customer is forced to set the drive letter via Disk Manager and this is neither a neat nor a secure solution since also the SAN volumes are visible here.
In short, I would need Windows to remember a specific drive letter for the USB drives.

Anyone ?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: vStorage API

Post by Gostev »

Hello Johnny, steps are exactly the same as when deploying VCB - except that you do not need to install actual VCB bits.

As for USB issue, I am not a scripting guru, but I am sure that just about everything what you can do manually through UI can be scripted? And this operation can be made a part of the script that does actual copy to USB stick?
johnny@datafant.se
Enthusiast

Yes, I have read something about it a while ago but I also vaguely remember that there were issues about volume renumbering, making it a bit dangerous using scripts.

I am just surprised that I seem to be the only one seeking a solution with locally attached USB-drives as a secondary backup-destination.
Sure, I can copy the VBK files over ethernet. I am doing it right now at customers sites. This is more timeconsuming though and I also need an additional computer.
As for a tape-solution, I know that those customers who have replaced tape-libraries with a disk solution are relieved by its simplicity and not having to deal with strange SCSI-errors and cumbersome troubleshooting.

I have read about RDX solutions but the rugged drives are pretty expensive.
The advantage is that the USB attached RDX "station" keeps the drive letter while replacing the removable drives.

Regards,

Johnny Lundgren
drbarker
Enthusiast

Post by drbarker »

As a quick thought:

If you're able to fit the data on a USB drive:

a) They're can't be much of it (< 2Tb?)
b) USB is quite slow - again, there can't be much data if you're writting it out in a resonable time period. (< 12hrs?)

Assuming there isn't much data, why not just use network mode vcb or the console agent? You wouldn't have to faff with diskpart et al.
johnny@datafant.se
Enthusiast

Yes, I am aware of the possibility to backup via ethernet but our "boxed" virtualisation solution is based on fibre connected storage and using VCB to minimize the backup window.
That said, not all the vm:s being backed up to primary destination are necessarily copied to the secondary destination; USB drive(s).

I won´t pester you with this any further, I just thought it would be a neat solution being able to make it work.

Regards,

Johnny
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

hi,

I have backed up in VB4 to a 4TB drobo all works fine for me, i just set it as a replication taget to get an initial copy of my 1.5TB Vm`s.