Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaFresh
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cedric Lemarchand

Long term Backup / history cleaning

Post by DaFresh »

Hello all,

I have 2 backups jobs running as 'archives', each week end, with more than 60 restore points now. As the storage is becoming full, I would like to do some cleaning et delete some 'backup points'.
Is there a way I can do that, even without GUI ?

Thx,

Cédric
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Long term Backup / history cleaning

Post by veremin »

Actually, the process of restore points deletion should be handled solely by the specified retention policy. Otherwise, you will face numerous issues of failing backup/replication jobs, etc.

I'm wondering what backup mode is being used. Reversed or Forward incremental one?

Thanks.
DaFresh
Enthusiast

Post by DaFresh »

Backup mode is reversed incremental.
So I can only play with the retention windows to feet our storage area dedicated for archives backup ?
It would be usefull to have something like :

- keep daily on the last X month
- keep weekly on the last X month
- keep montly on the last X years

I don't have a look on the new v7 features, but do you know if this is planned ?

Anyway, many thanks for responses !
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So I can only play with the retention windows to feet our storage area dedicated for archives backup ?
Yep, just specify the number of restore points you’re willing to keep. That’s all.

As to GFS rotation scheme, it is implemented in the new backup copy job that will be available in the upcoming version of Veeam Backup and Replication.

Thanks.
DaFresh
Enthusiast

Post by DaFresh »

v.Eremin wrote: As to GFS rotation scheme, it is implemented in the new backup copy job that will be available in the upcoming version of Veeam Backup and Replication.
Awesome, as usual.

Does the backups file format change from v6 to v7 ? I mean, will this feature be available with older backups pool ? maybe there will be an option to convert older format to the new one ?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

According to the plan, this feature should work fine with already existing backup jobs/data. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

DaFresh wrote:As the storage is becoming full, I would like to do some cleaning et delete some 'backup points'.
Is there a way I can do that, even without GUI ?
You can remove restore points manually, however, they will still remain in the SQL configuration database as an available restore points (until flushed away by retention). And remember that for reverse incremental backup mode, you can delete the oldest vrb files only (by their modified date), as removing the one from the middle of the chain will break it making the older points unusable.