yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Veeam feature request - job group

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

I have asked this before, but would like to ask again:

Allow me to have several separated jobs (each job has 1 or more VM), each job with its own settings.
But also a job group that will allow to have a single schedule (start at HH:MM and run the jobs in order I specify, or in parrallel if I choose to).
Also get a single email report for the whole group of jobs.

Thanks,
Yizhar
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam feature request - job group

Post by Gostev »

Hi Yizhar, in your case what is the reason behind having multiple jobs, if end the end you want them to act like a single job? Thanks.
yizhar
Service Provider

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

There are many reasons, some of them:

I manage a multitenant hosting system, and like to define job per tenant (client), with its own settings like guest processing credentials.

I want to have an option to launch specific job on demand, for example before maintenance of specific group of servers.

I prefer to store backups on the repository separated to several VBK files, vs a single large one.
I consider it easier to manage, troubleshoot, and safer (if done reasonably).

I like the option to be able to store backups of different jobs on different repository.

Some jobs are offsite backups over slow WAN, which can take long time (several hours each). I want to manage each group of servers for offsite backup separately.

But, I also want to have a simple daily schedule that runs all jobs in sequence, and provides summary report for all of them (in addition to per job report).

So bottom line:
Each job might have different settings, but I want an option to schedule them as one and get single summary report.
If you search the forum for all topics about job linking - you'll see that it is a poor solution for same problem, which can be easily improved with job groups.

A job group can simply be something that has:
list of jobs.
schedule.
option to choose if I want the jobs to run in sequence or parallel.
summary report.
option for pre and post commands.

The jobs in the group can be regular jobs, just without defined schedule.

Yizhar
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

yizhar wrote:I manage a multitenant hosting system, and like to define job per tenant (client), with its own settings like guest processing credentials.
If you are talking about a mapping between vCloud organization, and the underlying Resource Pools in vSphere, the upcoming v7.0 will have full support of vCloud Director. I'll leave to the Veeam guys about the details of how they manage the vCloud features...
But, I also want to have a simple daily schedule that runs all jobs in sequence, and provides summary report for all of them (in addition to per job report).
This is already possible with 6.5: for example we have in our datacenter more than 100 jobs, and I do not want too to manage schedule of all of them. We simply create all new jobs to start at 21.00, and simply use the max number of concurrent jobs per proxy to limit the number of running jobs. As soon as a queue is emptied, the next job is loaded into the available proxy.
About reporting, we only receive job report for warnings and errors, and we read the overall status using the Enterprise Manager report email, where we read the overall status of all jobs from the night before.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Would like to add something here...
When starting a job manually we would like to be able to choose if it should trigger the next job in sequence yes or no.
At the moment one needs to check what will run next, disable it and don't forget to reenable after the run...

Another Thing is we sometimes run out of time when monthly fulls are beeing run on a certain job.
Normally A job would start 8pm -> run for an hour -> next job runs for 2 hours etc... so we will be done around 6am.
However IF we have a scheduled monthy full in between we will run into production.
So what we would like is the ability to have an alternative schedule option if fulls need to be run.
In our Case we would like the next scheduled job to start in parallel with the full. Hope you understand what i mean...

Thx
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

yizhar wrote:Also get a single email report for the whole group of jobs.
Just some information on the upcoming Veeam Backup Management Suite release, this report (job status overview with all the details about failed VMs) is going to be available in Veeam ONE v7.
yizhar
Service Provider

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

Yet another fresh example why the "job group" feature can benefit many users:

'Hybrid' Job Schedules
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17410

Yizhar