Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nicolas.gras
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nicolas Gras

HyperV Wan Replication architecture with local storage

Post by nicolas.gras »

HI,

I need clarification to HyperV Wan Replication architecture (With 6.5 Version).
A customer have a Windows 2012 HyperV on source site and a Windows 2012 HyperV on destination site both with local storage.

-To optimize replication with Vmware, it is simple : I install a vmware proxy on source site and i use local Vmware proxy on destination site.
-With HyperV, i can use two mode :
A) On-Host backup. I did not wan optimization and i can't configure 'Network Traffic Throttling'. Is that correct?
B) Off-Host backup.
1) Requires a SAN, but is can work with hyperV local storage ?
2) Requires hardware VSS provider, here too, there is a solution with HyperV local storage ?
3) The role of an offhost backup proxy can be assigned only to a Microsoft Windows 2008 Server R2 machine with the Hyper-V role enabled or to a Microsoft 2012 machine with the Hyper-V role enabled. Is that it can be the same HyperV server running VMs? I assume it must necessarily be a physical machine ?

Thank's,
Regards,
Nicolas
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: HyperV Wan Replication architecture with local storage

Post by veremin »

On-Host backup. I did not wan optimization and i can't configure 'Network Traffic Throttling'. Is that correct?
Hi, Nicolas.

Nope, the situation is slightly different. Even without optional off-host proxy you won’t lose the ability to configure compression settings and/or throttling rules, since they are applied between two agents that you have in your environment (in this case, they will be represented by source and target host).

Though, having an off-host proxy will reduce an overload of the source host by moving all necessary data transformation tasks to proxy server.

As to using local Hyper-V storage in conjunction with off-host proxy, it should be possible, if you present corresponding disks to proxy server through ISCSI protocol. More information regarding it can be found here.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

nicolas.gras wrote:-To optimize replication with Vmware, it is simple : I install a vmware proxy on source site and i use local Vmware proxy on destination site.
Nicolas, with Hyper-V, you do not even need to install additional proxies as those are installed automatically on source and target hosts (in case of onhost replication) or on an additional proxy server and target host (in case of offhost replication).
nicolas.gras wrote: A) On-Host backup. I did not wan optimization and i can't configure 'Network Traffic Throttling'. Is that correct?
You can configure throttling rules in case of onhost backup, in this case they will affect communication between source and target Hyper-V hosts.
nicolas.gras wrote:1) Requires a SAN, but is can work with hyperV local storage ?
Offhost backup can be performed in case of local storage, please see the topic Vladimir has referred to above.
nicolas.gras wrote: 2) Requires hardware VSS provider, here too, there is a solution with HyperV local storage ?
You can use Microsoft VSS Hardware Provider to create and manage volume shadow copies on the local storage.
nicolas.gras wrote: 3) The role of an offhost backup proxy can be assigned only to a Microsoft Windows 2008 Server R2 machine with the Hyper-V role enabled or to a Microsoft 2012 machine with the Hyper-V role enabled. Is that it can be the same HyperV server running VMs?
Then it will be an onhost backup. ;)
nicolas.gras wrote:I assume it must necessarily be a physical machine ?
Not necessarily.
nicolas.gras
Service Provider

Post by nicolas.gras »

Hi Vladimir and Alexander,

Thank you for your answer.

Where can i configure throttling rules in case of on-host backup ? I have two HyperV Stanalone Host, but i can see this option.

Thank's,

Nicolas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Traffic throttling rules dialog is available from the main Veeam B&R menu.
nicolas.gras
Service Provider

Post by nicolas.gras »

Alexander,

OK i found it. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Nicolas