Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
odge
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Matthew Ogden

Exchange 2010 and logs

Post by odge »

Hi Guys,

Recently moved a site to Exchange 2010 from 2003, and first off, even though the size of the VM is the same, the speed at which the backup occurs, is DRAMATICALLY faster... i mean 6 hours vs 1 hour. Attributable mainly because there is so much less IO on exchange 2010 during the snapshot. +1 for MS.

Anyway, I'm now wondering, should I actually even backup the log files? (Essentially its going to double up the daily incremental size ?)

Doesn't seem much point in keeping the log files in the backup, or do you recommend keeping them to possibly replay them against a previous backup (I dont imagine thats particular easy to go ahead and do anyway)

Regards
Matt
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exchange 2010 and logs

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Matthew, basically, there's no automatic transaction logs replay in Veeam B&R, so if you need granular point-in-time restore, you could back the logs up (probably more frequently then the VM backup is performed, based on your RPO) and replay them manually to the required point.

By default, transaction logs are truncated upon successful backup, but you can control this behavior via advanced settings of the backup job.