Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Feature Request - Email settings

Post by tom11011 »

I am new to running replication and we are now running them all day long.

Lots of emails being generated at the completion of each job.

I was thinking, what would be nice is to receive only a daily executive type summary of all the jobs

-or-

Maybe a setting to be emailed only when there is a failure of a job.

Just my .02, love the product.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request - Email settings

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the feedback, but you already have an option to choose job status that you would like to receive email notifications for. Just navigate to Tools -> Options -> Email settings in the backup console and then select email notification policy you need.

Hope this helps!
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

A daily summary is only available in the Enterprise version with Backup Enterprise Manager installed. The other options like Vitaliy said is available in your B&R console under Options.

The daily report looks like this then:

Summary of last sessions for all jobs:
0 Errors, 6 Warnings, 158 Successes

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager
https://xxx:9443/default.aspx
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

I never knew about the daily summary email notification...thanks for that!
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

homerjnick wrote:I never knew about the daily summary email notification...thanks for that!
You will find it in Backup Enterprise Manager under Configuration Tab --> Notifications :-)
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Cokovic wrote: You will find it in Backup Enterprise Manager under Configuration Tab --> Notifications :-)
Yup I found it...and configured it this morning thanks!!!!
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd » 1 person likes this post

I have a replication job that runs every 2 hours. I want to just receive failure alerts on this particular job. I set up daily notifications in Enterprise Manager. Is there a way to still receive daily notifications and just failure notifications on one (or more) jobs? I can enable notifications within the replication job itself but it doesn't let me choose what type of notification.

Or is there a way to accomplish that without using Enterprise Manager. I was using the global email notification setting before and really liked the details in the job summary email but can;t figure out if I can get granular on the email notifications. Enterprise Manager just gives a generic success/completed email.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6716 times

Post by Gostev »

Not possible today. Also, how will you know the job is actually running, if you don't get successes sent to you? If backup server shuts down for example, you won't even know your job is still running.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

Daveyd wrote:I have a replication job that runs every 2 hours. I want to just receive failure alerts on this particular job. I set up daily notifications in Enterprise Manager. Is there a way to still receive daily notifications and just failure notifications on one (or more) jobs? I can enable notifications within the replication job itself but it doesn't let me choose what type of notification.
I would love to see this functionality as well and without Enterprise Manager.
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

Gostev wrote:Not possible today. Also, how will you know the job is actually running, if you don't get successes sent to you? If backup server shuts down for example, you won't even know your job is still running.
We would have to rely on the daily report to see if there were sucessful runs in that particular job.

It's a Catch 22 I think and we do not want to get numb to a considerable amount of emails coming in from jobs. If we add numerous replication jobs that say replicate every 2 hours, I can see how we could potentially be hit with vast amounts of emails throughout the day.

We do have other mechanisms of monitoring the Veeam server itself (Veeam ONE :) ) as well as any services on the Veeam server(s) (Solarwinds APM)
mrt
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by mrt »

Daveyd wrote:It's a Catch 22 I think and we do not want to get numb to a considerable amount of emails coming in from jobs.
it would be nice if the "important" message flag was activated for job reports containing errors. They would be readily visible and could be acted on programmatically in email clients. this would provide at-a-glance knowledge of which jobs are running fine and which need attention
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

So how about it Gostev? Can't we just get the options for Notify on Success, warning and failure at the job level too??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6716 times

Post by Gostev »

Sure. Eventually, we will have all the features that people need! :D
It's all about available resources and priorities, as usual...
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

Gostev wrote:Sure. Eventually, we will have all the features that people need! :D
It's all about available resources and priorities, as usual...
Come one, it's always as simple as Next, Next, Finish :mrgreen:
nichmullis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicholas Mullis

[MERGED] Job Summary email notifications

Post by nichmullis »

I was wondering if there is a way to get one email a day summarizing all the jobs that ran for the day instead of getting a hundred emails a day for each job. I am on the warpath against self inflicted spam. If there is not a way to do this currently can this please be added as a new feature. I'm sure people would greatly appreciate this option.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Job Summary email notifications

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Nicholas,

Yes, it is possible to receive an email notification with summary information for all jobs at once, you should be using Backup Enterprise Manager for that.

See our User Guide for further details > http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_enter ... ger_pg.pdf (page 27)

P.S. on a side note, if you're using Veeam ONE for monitoring your backup infrastructure, then you can schedule backup job status report on daily basis. This report as well as other backup reports will be available in v7.

Thank you!