Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rwalz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Walz

Instant Recovery Progess

Post by rwalz »

Hi all,

A quick question on the progress of an Instant Recovery. While looking at the log tab after choosing to view details of the recovery, I see that after about 2 minutes, the VM has been registered with the ESX host. It has now been 30 minutes since then and the last entry is 'VM "<hostname>" published successfully'. I also see the the 'State' lists as 'In progress'.

The question is; What am I waiting on before I attempt to start this host? How do I know it's done, and how long should I expect it to take for an 'Instant Recovery' ? ;)

Cheers,

RJ
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Instant Recovery Progess

Post by Gostev »

Hi Richard, you are waiting for nothing :) the actual recovery is done, and you could have started this VM 30 minutes ago (right after it was published). There is also a checkbox in Instant VM Recovery wizard to power on the VM automatically (but it sounds like you did not check it).

The recovery session will remain "in progress" for as long as VM is published on vPower NFS.
rwalz
Novice

Post by rwalz »

Gostev,

Well then, that is pretty awesome then. If I could trouble you for one more question? What is the proper tear down process for this then? Delete VM from disk, and then will the Veeam recovery reflect that it has been deleted, and show complete?

Regards,

RJ
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Richard, to tear down select Instant VM Recovery node in the management tree, right-click the required VM and select Unpublish. If it was real production recovery, make sure that you have migrated this VM to production storage (see FAQ) before doing that, or any changes generated while VM was running from backup file will be lost.
rwalz
Novice

Post by rwalz »

Understood, thanks for the quick responses!

Cheers,

RJ
soylent
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Max

[MERGED] Instant recovery still "Working" even after migrate

Post by soylent »

After running an Instant Recovery, I clicked the "Migrate to Production" option in Veeam, and it finished, but the job still says "Working" with the last log entry "Waiting for user to start migration".

The VM is completely restored and running, so what do I need to do now to keep the VM in production? Do I click "stop publishing" or "stop session"?
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: Instant recovery still "Working" even after migrated

Post by Cokovic »

Most important thing is that you have migrated the published VM to your production storage (just check it in your vSphere client if it's true). If so it doesn't matter whether you use "Stop publishing" or "Stop session". In both cases Veeam will be aware of VM migration and just stop this task and your VM will be still up and running.

And btw it's not a bug. It's just how Instant Recovery works.
-Start publishing the VM with Instant Recovery
-Migrate it to Production
-Stop session
soylent
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Max

Post by soylent »

Ok, thanks. It doesn't make it very clear that stopping publishing or session will not remove the VM back out of production. Meaning, it sounds like you're cancelling the restore job completely and it would revert any changes.

When I stopped the session, it shows up in the Warnings folder, saying "Error: VM was moved or unregistered", and the temporary datastore it created did not get unmounted.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

The temporary datastore never gets unmounted. This is by design cause if you are going to do another Instant Recovery you are going to save some time as Veeam doesnt need to mount the datastore again. If you want to get rid of it just unmount it manually.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

soylent wrote:It doesn't make it very clear that stopping publishing or session will not remove the VM back out of production. Meaning, it sounds like you're cancelling the restore job completely and it would revert any changes.
Yes, I have intentionally made the label somewhat scary, to make the user think twice and read the User Guide when they are doing this for the first time. Would not want users with limited knowledge and experience to unpublish without migration, and lose a few hours (or even days) of data.
jeffp
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by jeffp »

I've successfully restored a backup job as a Hyper-V VM but, I don't seem to have the option to migrate the VM to production? Is this because I have the free version of the software?

Thanks,
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Post by EugeneK »

Instant recovery, the feature discussed here, is not a part of Free edition:
https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-b ... -free.html

Sounds like you did a full restore of VM, which doesn't require "migrate to production" step as the VM is restored straight to the production environment already.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
franknitty42
Lurker
Full Name: Frank VanDyke

Post by franknitty42 »

Well I had run the Instant Recovery on the Veeam Console and it worked like a charm and the VM popped right up into my Production VM environment. But when I chose "Stop publishing" on the Instant Recovery job the VM freakin deleted itself right back out. I am now running a standard Full VM Restore so there will be no further misunderstandings about the difference between "stop publishing" and "stop session".

If I've made a mistake about the procedures involved please someone explain what I did wrong.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are you positive that "Migrate to Production" option is not available on instantly recovered VM? Thanks.
franknitty42
Lurker
Full Name: Frank VanDyke

Post by franknitty42 »

As I remember the recovery steps I thought that the first step in a Instant Restore procedure is getting the VM to restore to the Production environment so choosing "Migrate to Production" was the logical choice. Its only after the VM has been restored and is running that the decision to either Stop Publishing or stop Session is required. Does this mean that I missed a step? Do I have to "migrate it to production" twice or am I really confused?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Migration is not performed automatically, you need to initiate it once Instant Recovery is running from a backup file.