Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

sql and veeam query

Post by terrance101 »

Hey guys,

got another query here. When it comes to my veeam replications I am not taking the backed up sql databases across but we're going to be doing a replication every 8 hours and copy the logs across to the remote site every 15 minutes. It looks like you have to have the last backup in sql to then apply logs post last backup to get it back to most current state. The problem is we're looking at like 30 gigs for just one set of the last backups. Has anyone found encountered this issue with veeam and sql and have you found any trick to getting around having to copy so much data across to the remote site?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: sql and veeam query

Post by veremin »

I’m wondering whether 30 GB in question applies to SQL logs or to the amount of changes that needs to be copied by VB&R during each incremental pass.

Thanks.
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by terrance101 »

the 30GB is the final backup of each of the sql databases. The logs come to around 1GB a day which isn't too bad. I have excluded the backup directory of the sql backups during replication because that would bring the 30GB across everyday. Basically there must be a trick with sql where you don't need the final backups and therefore the extra 30GB is anyone has come across this before.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Exchange and SQL Server VMs will always generate large increments because these applications are highly transnational. This means that a lot of file system changes in the VM virtual disk will be generated, so there is no "special" magic/steps that should be taken to optimize the size of the incremental changes for these VMs. However, what you can still try to do is to re-schedule/re-configure some maintenance tasks (if any) in SQL Server, should reduce the backup size.

Btw, I didn't quite get if you're using replication jobs or backup jobs to protect your SQL server. Can you please clarify?

Thank you!
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

Vitaly, I think Terrance is speaking about SQLServer based backups (scheduled maintenance plan running a backup task to file), which is, as I understand, creating a 30 gig .bak file.

Terrance why not replicating more often with Veeam ? the longer you wait between replicas, the more you have to copy to the other site.
If you need to reduce your RPO to 15 mins, perhaps you'll need to switch to a log shipping based SQL cluster ?
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Eric,

Yes, could be ;) In this case another alternative would be to place these bak files on the separate drive and then exclude it from the backup/replication job.