Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pjhughes
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: P.J. Hughes

Failover to DR site

Post by pjhughes »

I have recently donwloaded VEEAM and we are testing it with our VM system. We have a DR site at an alternate location. We are able to create replicas of our VM's and failover to them. However, when we failover and the replicas are activated, the original production VM's also remain active. Is there a way to make VEEAM power them off once the failover is complete? VEEAM will power off the replicas when we failback to production, but leaves production VM's active when we failover to replicas. Is this correct or do we have something configured wrong?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Failover to DR site

Post by Gostev »

We do not touch production VMs upon failover, because there are basically two scenarios:

1. Test failover
In this case, production VMs should not be touched.

2. Real disaster
In this case, affected production VMs are is already down, or non-functional.

We will consider optional shutdown, if there is sufficient feedback (I don't recall seeing many similar requests in the past years though).

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As a potential workaround you can initiate a failover operation through the PowerShell and shut given VMs down once the failover is finished.

Thanks.
pjhughes
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: P.J. Hughes

Post by pjhughes »

Thank you both for the replies. That's what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure I wan't missing any steps.

Thanks!