Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
anorton
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Norton

Backup Strategy and DR Site

Post by anorton »

Currently I run a various number of jobs for SQL and Virtual Machines. I created repositories using my NetApp storage and Snapdrive to connect the LUNs. I generally keep everything for 30 days before it is sent to tape once a month using NetBackup from Quest. We use SRM for our DR replication and failover testing.

Everything runs great now I want to be able to have those backups available at my DR site should the need arise to move to DR and then recover data from the day before for a SQL server for instance. The question is what is the best method for doing this?

Create SnapMirror jobs for all my Veeam Volume/LUNs to the DR site and have a Veeam Server running at the DR Site? If I do this I will need to create a snap schedule for NetApp or I will have an issue connecting to snapdrive at the DR site if there isn't a clean snapshot.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks
Aaron
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Strategy and DR Site

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Aaron,

If you want to have offsite copies of your Veeam backup files, then I would suggest waiting for v7 and then configuring Backup Copy jobs targeted to the offsite location. Btw, what kind of bandwidth do you have to your DR site? Will it be enough to transfer the entire LUN?

On a side note, here is an existing topic describing how our existing customers are currently syncing backup files with an offsite location: v6 - How to have a local and off-site backup copy?

Thank you!
anorton
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Norton

Re: Backup Strategy and DR Site

Post by anorton »

We currently have 1GB and a 100MB circuit to our offsite location. Thats for the link I will read it over now.