Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Minimum permissions for service account on clients

Post by mschlott »

I ran into a problem last week where I could not restore using windows file level restore. The error had something to do with not being able to install something on the client. After working with support, it was suggested that the account that veeam runs as on the backup server, needs to be domain admin. This made sense, but it seems like overkill and I could not find anything in the documentation about it.

At this point, I'm assuming that this service account will need at least backup admin privliges on all the clients and possibly local administrator. Is there anything documented that describes what the permission requirements are on windows clients for FLR to work properly?

mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Minimum permissions for service account on clients

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mike,

I'm not quite sure you need to be domain admin to run Win FLR wizard, I believe that local admin privileges should be sufficient for that. Btw, service account does not have to be local admin on all VMs you're backing up, the account used run the restore session should have access/permission to the files you're trying to restore.

Thank you!
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Re: Minimum permissions for service account on clients

Post by mschlott »

Thanks that makes sense. I was logged in as the service account at the time. Had I logged in as myself, it probably would have worked. I would only have problems on servers that are not on the domain.