Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

backup senario advise

Post by jamerson »

Dear All,
i need your experience on my backup structuur,
i have 4 VM running, File server Domain controller, and Exchange and Veaeam backup server
i've schedule a backup job to run daily in the Veeam backup server to be stored on the extra HDD i've created ( 700GB), and i've schedule a backup to run once a week Saterday to do a full backup of the 3 VMS to a external HDD that is attached to the Veeam backup,
so as you notice it small envi without replication,

let say my file server is down and won't restart or what so ever, can i just restore it to the same location and it will be up stright forward? do i need some adjustement on the structur of the backup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: backup senario advise

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Julien,

Yes, you can restore it to the same location and the procedure is pretty straightforward. Also you didn't say anything about your job configuration, so I would recommend using application-aware image processing for your DC, Exchange and File Server VMs.

In addition to this, if you lose your backup server, you will be able to import all created backups and run the restore procedure of your production VMs.

Thank you!
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Julien,

Yes, you can restore it to the same location and the procedure is pretty straightforward. Also you didn't say anything about your job configuration, so I would recommend using application-aware image processing for your DC, Exchange and File Server VMs.

In addition to this, if you lose your backup server, you will be able to import all created backups and run the restore procedure of your production VMs.

Thank you!
Dear Vitaliy,
my Restore configuration i've create a repo for them to the external HDD Too,
what do you mean with application-aware image? i didn't get it sorry
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Jullien.

Vitaly referred to the special functionality called Application Aware Image Processing. It’s recommended having this option enabled while backing up/replicating VM running VSS-aware applications (such as Active Directory, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint), since this functionality guarantees backup transactional consistency of such VMs.

So, kindly check whether or not the aforesaid option is enabled in the setting of FS, DC, Exchange backup jobs.

Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Dear Eremin,
yes this option is already activated, so the guest file indexing,
i was testing the Exchange OS restore which succecfully works, but today my back up has failed because it can't find EX VM,
do i have to redo the backup job after restoring the enter VM?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Julien,

Please be aware that when you re-register VM in the inventory, vCenter Server assigns new moref ID, so this VM becomes a new one and it doesn't matter if it has the old name and it is actually the old VM. In order to backup the restored VM you need to re-add it to the backup job and if you want to continue running incremental job passes, please map this VM to existing backup files via Veeam backup console.

Thanks!