Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jkettler
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

B&R server at DR location?

Post by jkettler »

Hi there. We keep our B&R server at a co-location over a WAN link, as we would obviously need it in the event of DR.

Our backup repository and all our hosts are at our main location. When I restore a file via the B&R server from that repository to a host (both at main location) it looks like it copies it to the B&R server over the WAN link then back over the WAN link to the host. Is this normal? What is the best practice to avoid keeping that file restore entirely on the LAN side?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: B&R server at DR location?

Post by Gostev »

Hello, you observations are correct. File-level recovery process can only happen on backup server. For now, the best workaround is to set up a separate server in DR site, and use solely for restores. Thanks!
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler »

Ok, will give this a shot. Will the new B&R server see the same jobs and infrastructure as the existing one?
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler »

Do I need the add the same license files to the new install as well?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jkettler wrote:Ok, will give this a shot. Will the new B&R server see the same jobs and infrastructure as the existing one?
You would need to import the required backups into the new Veeam B&R console to be able to restore from them.
jkettler wrote:Do I need the add the same license files to the new install as well?
If you do not plan to use the second Veeam B&R instance to perform backup or replication jobs, you do not need to install a license at all.
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler »

Thanks! Got it working. As a feature request, a slim, standalone, desktop-OS compatible sort of Admin Console for Veeam would be HUGE for me and my team.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Glad you've got it working.
jkettler wrote:As a feature request, a slim, standalone, desktop-OS compatible sort of Admin Console for Veeam would be HUGE for me and my team.
Have you tried Veeam B&R Enterprise Manager that is a web-based standalone Veeam B&R component providing necessary remote visibility across all your backup servers? Aside from some basic reporting information about your backup infrastructure, you can use it to search files through all existing backups, perform 1-Click FLR operations, use it as a central licensing server, and many more. Seems like you are looking for something like that.
jkettler
Enthusiast

Post by jkettler »

Not sure if this is a function of v7, but when I try to restore from a .vbk using the "free" install of the console I can only restore from that latest .vbk (reverse incremental) but do not have the option to restore from any of the previous .vrb files. How can I restore from those?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Have you imported the entire backup chain into Veeam B&R? By default, Veeam B&R Free edition allows restoring from full backups (VBK files) only (as it can only create full backups). If you need to restore from the backup chain containing incremental restore points, you can switch Veeam B&R console to Full functionality mode, import the chain using the corresponding button on the toolbar, and then restore from any available restore point.