Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chadtandy
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad

Windows 2012 Dedup Question

Post by chadtandy »

Is there any benefit to using 2012 Dedup with forever incremental Veeam jobs? What if there are 10 individual jobs on a single drive? A lot of the stuff I've been seeing for using 2012 dedup is when doing periodic fulls which obviously shows a large gain.

Thanks,
-Chad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Windows 2012 Dedup Question

Post by Gostev »

Yes, as it will dedupe between backup files belonging to different jobs. Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Not to disagree, but unless you're envrionment is quite small I wouldn't suggest it. The only way this will help significantly is if you disable compression on the Veeam job which will immediately use 2x the space. To get this back you'd then need to allow Windows to dedupe the full VBK which is changing every night. You can certainly choose to do this but it will cause a fairly dramatic performance degradation over time. Might be OK for the smallest environments but doesn't scale at all.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yep, I don't disagree that at this technology stage, Windows 2012 dedupe is good for small environments only...
chadtandy
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad

Post by chadtandy »

The more I think about it the more I agree, the little we could possibly save in disk space wouldn't be worth the cost in performance.

Thanks,
-Chad