Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

WAN Accelerators / Backup Copy Job - Am I being an idiot?

Post by Dave-Departed »

Hi All,

Just testing v7 alongside our existing v6.5 now, in readiness to upgrade when the time is right...

I've got a question about WAN accelerators and Backup Copy Jobs... Am I being an idiot and doing something wrong?

I've got a 10mb DIA connection, and I'm using Amazon Web Services at the other end as my remote location, with a backup repository and WAN accelerator configured both at my physical location and in AWS.

I've setup a test backup job of an existing VM, which is backing up to the local default repository, and I've also setup a backup copy job, using the WAN accelerators, and pointing to the AWS backup repository.

The backup copy job is running right now, and processing a 42GB backup job (it's pointing to the backup job, not the VM from infrastructure), and it's processing at 3MB/s, having processed only 5.8GB (10% of the job), transferred 747.3MB (8x compression, I assume) and has taken 1 hour so far to do this. The throughput speed is about 1.3MB/s and the bottleneck reports that the Target WAN is the issue.

Have I configured something wrong here? I was expecting to see blazing fast transfers via WAN (my WAN accelerators have 80GB and 100GB caches, respectively).

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: WAN Accelerators / Backup Copy Job - Am I being an idiot

Post by Gostev »

Hi Dave, if you are doing "cold" transfer and did not "seed" your backups to the target site, target WAN accelerator does not have anything to populate its acceleration cache from, so acceleration is simply impossible. What happens now is target WAN accelerator "learning" your traffic and populating the acceleration cache as it gets the data from source. As the result, each of the following VMs will process faster and faster (due to duplicate OS data and other similar files). And the full backup as complete, so that all VMs have at least one restore point in the target backup repository, and acceleration cache is fully populated, the following incremental runs will fly. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Post by Dave-Departed »

Awesome, thanks Anton! It all makes sense now! I'll look forward to seeing how the next job runs! :)

Cheers

Dave