Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
npoIT
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: npoIT

Tracking of VMs?

Post by npoIT »

Hello -

I noticed that in the What's new guide for v7, under that Native tape support section, it says "Tracking of VMs and restore points requires the Enterprise or Enterprise Plus edition of Veeam Backup & Replication." Can anyone elaborate on what that means? I am unclear as to exactly what that means to me given that I don't have the Enterprise version.

Greg
sbbots
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Re: Tracking of VMs?

Post by sbbots »

I wondered about this too. From what I understand the Standard verison only allows you to copy Windows files to tape with no reference to the restore point in the database (if you backed up an entire VM). Honestly, that is pointless. I can do that with any tape software (even free ones).

For a paid version not to support tracking of tape backups is extremely disappointing. This of course forces most buyers to choose Enterprise, which is currently priced 80% higher than Standard.

Maybe I am wrong. Anyone from Veeam care to correct me?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Greg,
Tracking of VMs and restore points requires the Enterprise or Enterprise Plus edition of Veeam Backup & Replication
Any Veeam B&R edition would provide you the ability to run file to tape job, handled by Veeam B&R v7. However if you would like to "link" tape jobs to your original backup jobs you would need to create backup to tape job, which is supported in Enterprise or Enterprise Plus edition.

For the detailed information on file to tape or backup to tape jobs please refer to the Veeam v7 User Guide > Tape Device Support (p.124)

Here you can find detailed Veeam Backup & Replication Editions Comparison

Thank you.
npoIT
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: npoIT

Post by npoIT »

I agree with sbbots - this is a bit disappointing; however, at least it doesn't require Enterprise Plus - correct?

BTW - I had looked in the manual and it does not appear to distinguish between standard and enterprise edition features in the tape section.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

npoIT wrote:however, at least it doesn't require Enterprise Plus - correct?
Yes, to run backup to tape jobs there is no need to have Enterprise Plus Edition.
sbbots wrote:This of course forces most buyers to choose Enterprise, which is currently priced 80% higher than Standard.

Maybe I am wrong. Anyone from Veeam care to correct me?
Yes, to have full native support for tapes (files to tape jobs and backup to tape jobs) you should be using Enterprise Edition. In addition to this, Enterprise Edition gives you other powerful features such as SureBackup, SureReplica, extended functionality in Explorer for Exchange/SharePoint etc.
sbbots
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Post by sbbots »

I played with file backups for the past few hours and sort of changed my mind; Standard would probably be ok for most small companies. It would be nice to have a restore "link" in the database, but not required as long as you label your tapes properly.