Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
goudzwaardc
Novice
Liked: never

Create override for Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Error

Post by goudzwaardc »

We use Veeam B&R 7 to replicate some machines in our VMWare cluster. We also use SCOM 2012 with the Veeam management pack which works great.
But I can't get something working properly.
The Alert Rule Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Error gives this error:
[VmMacConflictEvent] The MAC address (00:50:56:97:0b:70) of machinename_replica conflicts with MAC assigned to machinename

I've tried creating an override but this doesn't work.
What i've tried:
1. Creating a Attribute in VmWare called Veeam.CustomTag1 with replica as value.
2. Create a dynamic group with the query formula ( Object is VMware Virtual Machine AND ( Custom Tag 1 Contains replica ) AND True ) (this didn't work so i've temporary created a explicit member group, the dynamic group didn't fill up)
3. Create an override specific for the VmMacConflictEvent.

This is where I got stuck, I think I need to enable the override for the group I've created and add the exclude event
Is this correct? Or am I going at it the wrong way?
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Create override for Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Error

Post by sergey.g » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

This is really great question! Internally we also are doing tests to check how both products (Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam MP) coexist together. And for your question there is an answer.

- First of all it should work better if you just create a group based on replica suffix "_replica". Use something like "( Object is VMware Virtual Machine AND ( Display Name Contains _replica ) AND True )" as a membership formula.
- Secondly - wait an hour or so for your group to populate, SCOM is quite slow with group membership discovery (for a reason)
- Create an override for the rule "Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Error" for group of replicas. In the Exclude Events parameter, instead of "Dummy.Event.Id.3|Dummy.Event.Id.4" add "VmMacConflictEvent".

This should disable this event for VBR replicas.

Let me know if you have any other questions. And we would highly appreciate any other feedback about using both MP and VBR together.

Thank you very much for your question.