Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Virtualizer
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Golbraich

Running Batch files before & after backup jobs

Post by Virtualizer »

Hi all

Is it possible to run somehow a batch file before the backup job starts and a batch file after the backup job ends, automatically?

The reason i'm asking is because i have a windows 2008 r2 serve which i backup with veeam.
There is a problem when performing a backup to this server before we shut down it's local database services. The database is a 3d party software's propriety database and not a common type.
I tried using application-aware method but no good.
I need to take off the database services before applying backup with veeam and after the job is done, i need to bring on the services again.
these actions can be done with batch files but how can i manipulate these with an automated daily backup job in Veeam ?

I'm using Veeam backup & replication v6.5 with most recent patch.

Any help is appreciated,

Gary Golbraich
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Running Batch files before & after backup jobs

Post by veremin »

Hi, Garry.

Yep, it’s possible. In case of VMware, you should use the so-called pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts that are available in VMware Tools. Otherwise (Hyper-V), you should implement the alogrithm described previously.

Thanks.
Virtualizer
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Golbraich

Post by Virtualizer »

Yes this is meant for VMware. Forgot mentioning this.

I'm not sure if its a wise solution since pre-freeze or post-thaw scripts could also invoked on various tasks such as various migrations.
No way to handle this with veeam directly ?

Thank you btw for the quick reply

Kind regards,

Gary Golbraich
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

But, am I wrong in assuming that in case of migration you’re also willing to preserve the state of corresponding database intact? And that what VMware scripts are designed for.

However, the PS script mentioned above can be slightly changed and be used in case of VMware environment; though, it’s expected that you know the way how to instruct database to freeze/unfreeze its activities. So, the final script should do the following:

• Freeze a given database
• Start a VB&R Job
• Once the snapshot of VM is taken, unfreeze a given database

Thanks.