Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Satanek
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jakub Satanek

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager installation failed

Post by Satanek »

Installation fails
"Error 1920 Service Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager failed to start. Verify you have sufficient rights to start system services." What should I do? Do you have any idea?
Thanks a lot.
J.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager installation failed

Post by Gostev »

Is the account you are using to run setup with is a member of Local Administrators group on the server?
Satanek
Novice

Post by Satanek »

It is a member of both the local Administrators group and Domain Administrators group
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jakub, I would also look through the setup log file you have in %TEMP% folder for any clues. Also have you tried installing other Veeam Backup and Replication components on that server with the same account? If you need any assistance with the setup log review, you may contact our support team.
Satanek
Novice

Post by Satanek »

I figured it out. Yesterday I crashed because the server on which you installed Veeam Backup. But I managed to save the SQL databases. These I connected to the new SQL server and installed Veeam Backup. Setup could not connect to the existing SQL. After I installed Ent. manager to choose a new instance of SQL, everything went perfectly fine.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jakub, thank you for the update.
joeduke
Lurker
Full Name: Joe Duke

Installing Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager

Post by joeduke »

[merged]

I'm gettting error 1920 when Installing Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager at the "starting Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager services" stage. Similar to this old issue:

http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 920#p24106

netstat -aon shows nothing trying to use the ports the Veeam wants, I am installing as admin to the box, server 2008r2, SQL working fine (unlike the issue above) Veeam Back and Replication v6 installed fine and has been working since early December (flawlessly.)

any ideas?
thanks!
joe
mriw
Lurker

Post by mriw »

Hi,
I do have the same error using an existing SQL server.
The service user I've created does have the DB-Owner-role on the VeeamBackup-Database.
What's the trick installing veeam with a DB on another server?
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There are no special tricks actually. The error above states that account used in installation wasn't able to start services, not sure it has something to do with SQL Server.

Don't hesitate to contact our support team, if you need an assistance with product installation.
fortch
Novice
Full Name: Chris Fortunato

Post by fortch »

Answering this much later, hopefully to help others. I, too, had the same error, and the events below were in the system logs. The fix was to give my service account DBO to the VeeamBackupReporting database, as the second event indicates (which will be written before the 1920).

Product: Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager -- Error 1920.Service Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager (Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Code: Select all

Service cannot be started. Veeam.Backup.Common.CRegeneratedTraceException: Failed to start service ---> Veeam.Backup.Common.CRegeneratedTraceException: Error occurred during database startup maintenance ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.FailedOperationException: Execute with results failed for Database 'VeeamBackupReporting'.  ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException: An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The server principal "<[b]service account[/b]>" is not able to access the database "VeeamBackupReporting" under the current security context.
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.ExecuteTSql(ExecuteTSqlAction action, Object execObject, DataSet fillDataSet, Boolean catchException)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteWithResults(String sqlCommand)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
kamalkant
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kamalkant singhal

Post by kamalkant »

i am upgrading veeam enterprise manger to 6.5 from 6.0. the error comes." cannot check whether tcpport is occupied" i clicked ok then one more pop up says port 9080 is not available.Any suggestion?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello, can you please tell me if your EM v6.0 up and running? Do you have firewall enabled? Also it might be worth restarting IIS and then trying to upgrade your installation once again.
kamalkant
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kamalkant singhal

Post by kamalkant »

Hi Vitaliy, thanks for the quick reply. I restarted IIS Admin service in windows server and I do not see the error anymore. EM 6.5 updated successfully.
tomas.olsen
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tomas Olsen

Post by tomas.olsen »

we removed two certificates that had blank subject and it worked.