Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Enhancement request -- exclude disks

Post by averylarry »

I know what you're thinking -- this already exists.

Not really.

The current feature (which I think is misnamed) is actually an include disks feature (default exclude except for what is specifically included).

I've thought of this before (and I don't remember making an enhancement request). This topic made me think of it again:

http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17756

it's precisely the reason I would prefer a true exclude feature. The way it is now, I can't add a disk without checking all around to make sure it's included in all my jobs. I've set as many of my VMs in my jobs to be "all disks" as possible, but there are still a number of excluded drives (sql and exchange log files from replication, swap file drives (mostly eliminated), branch server backup drive excluded from replication, temporary no-backup/replication drives, backup repository drives).
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Enhancement request -- exclude disks

Post by tsightler »

I've used a workaround at some clients of selecting the "Exclude Disk" option, but then checking to include every disk as default. Then I simply uncheck the handful of disk that actually need to be excluded for specific VMs. This way adding a new disk to a VM that has excludes will still be caught by the backup. This is a common issue for customers that are backing up database systems or Linux systems with dedicated swap disks where they want to exclude those disk, but can't be sure additional disks that do need to be backed up may exist in the future.