Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jsangha
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jag Singh

Veeam Backup integration with CA Arcserve 16.5

Post by jsangha »

Hi

Looking to see whether anyone out there has integrated Veeam 6.5 with CA Arcserve 16.5 and if so how they done it. I have installed and tested a trial version of Veeam 7 though have found that it is very limited in terms of off site reporting for moving tapes from the tape library to a vault.

At the moment I am doing incremental backups to tape everyday via CA Arcserve which works, but isn't so easy restoring.

Any advice ?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Backup integration with CA Arcserve 16.5

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jag,

If you are looking into the Vaulting functionality in Veeam B&R v7 for exported tape media - it would be provided in the future versions of Veeam B&R. For the reporting functionality, may I ask, have you looked into VeeamOne which is the mighty reporting tool that perfectly integrates with Veeam B&R?

In case of CA Arcserve, I hope some other users could share their experience. To my knowledge - it is not integration, you basically schedule a backup job by Veeam, and then point what/when to pick with Arcserve to tape. Restore should look the same - restore from tape to local storage, import backup files to Veeam B&R and then it is possible to run a restore job.
jsangha
Novice

Post by jsangha »

Hi

I haven't tested the newest version of Veeam One though am happy to providing its capable of producing the reports I need. The way I see it is I cant warrant using Veeam 7 Native backup to tape until it does this as like for many companies out there, tape library's are located in Data Centres and tapes often weekly and monthly need to be taken out of the library and transferred to a vault and this is often done by third party companies. For us to tell them what tapes to take out and put in we would need some sort of report to handover.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

For now you can, probably, use media “description” field as the place where the name of corresponding vault can be written. Thanks.
jsangha
Novice

Post by jsangha »

Ok thanks for the advice. I will await for future releases which will hopefully have these features built in.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, according to a plan, the tape vault reporting staff should be present in the future product versions. Thanks.