Management reporting and documentation
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Error with version 7.0 of Veeam One

Post by nmace »

I've got a clean install of version 7.0 of Veeam One and I get the following error when Veeam One Report tries to connect to vCenter.

Failed to RetrieveProperties: "". Insufficient privileges. You need to have 'System.Read' privilege on 'Folder:group-d1' object.

A quick search turns up a single thread, but the resolution of re-installing Veeam One doesn't help me as this is clean install already. My Veeam One service account is in a role that was cloned from the Read-Only role and then granted the following:

• Host.CIM.CIM Interaction
• Host.Configuration.Connection
• VirtualMachine.Interaction.AnswerQuestion
• Global.Manage custom attributes
• Global.Set custom attribute
• Virtual Machine.Interaction.Console Interaction
• Datastore.Browse datastore
• Global.Licenses

Any ideas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Error with version 7.0 of Veeam One

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have this account propagated to the VI object (folder) in question? Have you tried assigning this account/permission to the entire vCenter Server?
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

It is assigned at the vcenter level and is set to proprogate down. I've verified that the setting exists @ the host level and reports that it is assigned at the vcenter level.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well...seems like the required permissions are still missing according to the error message. Try to create any test account and grant it read-only access (built-in role) on the vCenter Server level to see if this resolves this issue or not.
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Well...seems like the required permissions are still missing according to the error message. Try to create any test account and grant it read-only access (built-in role) on the vCenter Server level to see if this resolves this issue or not.
The very first thing I did was assign this account the read-only role. When it didn't work and I saw this error, I dug up the permissions required from the install document. Once I added those, it still didn't help and I started this thread. I guess I can try restarting the Veeam One server, see if that makes any difference.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Read-only access on the entire infrastructure is all you need, restarting Veeam ONE server shouldn't make any difference, so I suggest contacting our technical support team to verify your setup over the remote WebEx session. Thanks!
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace » 1 person likes this post

I opened a support case, got the issue resolved quickly. The fix ended up being that I had tried applying the permissions at the cluster level and then tried again at the datacenter level. I should have applied the permissions at the vCenter level (which is the root level above the datacenter).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yep, this is the first thing I suggested to do in my first post ;) Glad that you're up and running!
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yep, this is the first thing I've suggested to do in my first post ;) Glad that you're up and running!

Yeah, but I got confused on the "cluster" object and the "vcenter" object aspect of it. :D

At least now if/when someone else google's that error, this thread has the resolution. Thanks for the help.