Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bctirado
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian

Offsite Copy to Removable Drive and Encryption

Post by bctirado »

Hi Guys,

Been a long time Veeam user and think it’s a fantastic product.

My question is about a specific use case, we have a few clients that have a compliancy requirement for backup drives taken offsite to be encrypted (Seems like all drives taken offsite should be encrypted but that’s a different story!), these are small companies so they generally have one site and low bandwidth (Think offsite copy and WAN acceleration is a no go).

What we’ve done for offsite copies in the past has been to use robocopy kicked off from the post job command to get the backups to the drive, this works fine and we have error reporting built in with the scripting. I was thinking to meet the encryption requirement we might make the offsite copy drive target something that has hardware based encryption (Something along the lines of “WD My Book 3TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0”, again thinking smaller clients that scoff at spending). I know TrueCrypt is another option but recently in the forum people have mentioned some issues when it comes to restoring.

So my question is does the above sound like a good solution, any other ideas, or potential issues you guys have run into using a similar setup?

Too bad the backup copy in v7 is still not a replacement for the old robocopy script…
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Offsite Copy to Removable Drive and Encryption

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,

Hardware based encryption could be a way to go, as I've heard this option was used previously by some of our csutomers, haven't heard any negative feedback on this. As to the TrueCrypt, then I didn't hear anything bad either.. ;)

Thanks!