Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kte
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Koen Teugels

2 veeam servers

Post by kte »

Hello I want to have have a veeam direct san access server on the production site an 1 on the DRP site, I have a 10 GB connection between both sites and want to use the GFS copy on the DRP site
Is it best to enable the wan acceleration function to have faster copy jobs between both servers even in 10 GBit ??
On the DRP server do I install the full product because I should be able to do replication and full restores from there?
can I share my proxy servers then??

K
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: 2 veeam servers

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Koen,

1. Traffic savings will depend on the amount of VMs you're going to transfer. Of course, the more bandwidth you have the less effect you will see as WAN accelerators will most likely slow down the process on fast links.
2. Yes, actually it is even recommended to have a full blown backup server on the remote site to manage replication jobs during the failover.
3. Yes, you can, but keep in mind that all throttling settings as well as max concurrent jobs settings will be applied per server, meaning that proxy server will not be "aware" about this sharing.

Thank you!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

With a 10Gb connection it's very likely that WAN acceleration will simply slow the process. The WAN accelerator feature is largely targeted at environments with limited bandwidth (200Mb or less). A single WAN accelerator with a copy job should be able to effectively use up to a 100Mb connection, based on the exact setup, perhaps up to 200Mb. That doesn't mean that WAN accelerators can't be used with faster links, they will still save bandwidth, but they will limit the performance of the link. You can always have multiple accelerators and run mulitple copy jobs to take advantages of additional performance benefits.

For WAN connections that approach or exceed LAN speeds, direct mode will likely provide the best performance in most cases.
kte
Expert

Post by kte »

I thought that the caching could help me because if in need to copy an full backup file of 4 TB even on a 10 GBit link it will take some time

K
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

But I guess this is only one time operation, besides during first run of the backup copy job there will be no cache to use. BTW, do you have a backup copy on the DR site already?
kte
Expert

Post by kte »

not for the moment, I'm planning a migration to veeam as backup product then create the DRP site
I also need to upgrade to version 7 to get the array based snapshotting working
kte
Expert

Post by kte »

Dost the repository on the DRP server is auto registered to the DRP management console ??
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Prior to using remote server as a target for backup copy job it has to be manully added to a backup console as a backup repository. Thanks.
Starman
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Todd Leavitt

[MERGED] : Backup Copy Performance

Post by Starman »

Hello gentlemen

I completed rebuilding all of my backups in Veeam 7 and now I'm designing the "backup" copies. What I've done is installed the replicator/accelerator on my Veeam server (which has the backup storage attached) and then installed it on my old backup server that is across our campus in another building connected by gigabit fiber.

Before changing this, I would back the Virtual machines over to this building and it would process then in the 50-60 mb range over the network (dedicated fiber for backup). With the local storage now on the Veeam server, it process's of my SAS MD3200 at 600 M/B second and around 60-70 mb/sec from my iSCSI Equalogic 6500.

My backup copy is now only processing at 6mb to 15mb per second. The acceleration is set to default in the backup copy (5 streams).

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong!

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Todd. With 1GB connection WAN accelerator is likely to slow the backup performance down, as it was specifically designed for limited bandwidth (200mb or less) not for faster ones. In order to increase performance rates, kindly use direct mode, instead. Thanks.
kte
Expert

Re: 2 veeam servers PROD and DRP

Post by kte »

So I install the server on the DRP site with DB and console ??
Configure my repository
and add the proxy from the veeam in the production site ??
And configure GFS copy jobs to the DRP repository ?
Will the DRP server import these files, and can I restore from them??

K
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: 2 veeam servers PROD and DRP

Post by foggy »

kte wrote:So I install the server on the DRP site with DB and console ??
Correct.
kte wrote:and add the proxy from the veeam in the production site ??
Correct.
kte wrote:And configure GFS copy jobs to the DRP repository ?
Correct.
kte wrote:Will the DRP server import these files, and can I restore from them??
You will be able to import those backups in the DRP backup server and restore from them when required.
dlieshout@client.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: DaLi

Post by dlieshout@client.nl »

This is the actual situation in a lot of sites. VBR Full in Production site and Repository + Proxy in the DRP. This DRP-proxy much has now BackupExec for offloading the VBK's to tape.
But a VBR-proxy cannot do the tape-job.
So I can install the full VBR-package on the DRP-site-proxy-server where the tape-unit is connected. Now I can simple schedule a tape-offload from the DRP-repository but VBR on the main-site does not have any knowledge what is on the tape.
An enhancement could be that a proxy (on the DRP site) can do a tape-job and read from a local repository at the DRP site.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There is a probability that the future release of Veeam B&R will support attaching tape libraries to physical servers other than the management server.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I might be also worth installing Enterprise Manager and adding both VB&R instances to it. This way, not only will you have a necessary visibility across two backup servers, but also you will be provided with required tape tracking mechanism.

Thanks.