Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
petrtoth
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Petr Tóth

Problem low speed replication VM

Post by petrtoth »

Hi,

I have upgraded version 6.5 to 7.0 RC0 and than 7.0.
Before upgrade on 7.0 i have done replication of 1,5 TB machine with OS Linux by using incremental replication and it has took aproximatley 31 minutes. Now replication is taking approx. 125min and i can't get more than 45MB/s of processingrate.

Source machine is on SAN field where are FC disks. Target machine is alson on SAN field with SAS disks 15k rpm.

Veem is installed on physicall machine and using two proxies which are virtually in Vmware ESX 5.1

OS which is replicated is virtuall HW 7.0 and linux. While replication is started message "Hot add is not supported for this disk, falling over to network mode (Hard disk 2)" is shown. Virtual machine with same size (1,5TB) with OS windows is replicated in approx. 16 min.

Do you have any idea where could be the problem ?

Thanks for any advice.
Sincerely.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Problem low speed replication VM

Post by veremin »

Has Hot Add method been used previously or not? Were there any environmental changes that might have led to absence of Hot Add mode? Also, are the in-guest virtual disks of VM in question configured as IDE instead of SCSI? Thanks.
petrtoth
Novice

Post by petrtoth »

I'm not sure whether there was Hot Add available at linux server. All other windows servers have it available. Except upgrading veeam 7 there was no changes. Hosted VM has ISCI disks.

I'm not sure whether i understood all of your questions.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can check it by going to job statistics of job runs that occurred prior to VB&R upgrade. The idea is that previously backup proxy server has leveraged Hot-Add transport mode that typically is faster than a network one and it doesn’t use it any longer.

Additionally, it stands to reason to check whether CBT is being used or not.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Additionally, there are several limitations of using hotadd mode outlined in the following KB article: http://www.veeam.com/KB1054, worth reviewing.
petrtoth
Novice

Post by petrtoth »

Hi,

Thank you fo your advice. I have proceeded this way:

1) I have checked the CBT settings on VM which i'm replicating.
2) Deleted created cbt files on not running VM
3) Deleted all snapshots
4) Manually set source and target proxy
5) Turned replication on and Hot add function is already functional for disks which are mapped to proxy.

But..

time on replication (incremental) is 1:45h and new warning has came up:

"29.8.2013 6:21:19 :: Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. A specified parameter was not correct. . deviceKeyDetail: '<InvalidArgumentFault xmlns="urn:internalvim25" xsi:type="InvalidArgument"><invalidProperty>deviceKey</invalidProperty></InvalidArgumentFault>', endpoint: ''"

and

"29.8.2013 6:31:01 :: Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. Error caused by file /vmfs/volumes/51b988f7-ff2082a0-2b20-1cc1de1dc5e8/Prytanis_sk/Prytanis2_sk_1-000024.vmdkDetail: '', endpoint: ''"

I have added some images to attachment, if they could help

http://magico.galerie.cz/#94878188
http://magico.galerie.cz/#94878189

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Petr, I suggest reviewing this topic for a possible solution and contact technical support directly in case this doesn't help. Thanks.